Author Topic: Capability to "check out" a package?  (Read 1466 times)

jplusip

• EA User
    • View Profile
Capability to "check out" a package?
« on: November 21, 2014, 07:54:40 am »
I'm working on a team of around 7-10 modelers and up until recently the modus operandi was that different groups of modelers would get a replica and sometime in the week the lead architect would collect all of the replicas and merge them into a master model.

All of this was done without using the baselines/package control (why? I don't know. I brought it up, it was ignored).

Now the project dynamic is changing and we're going to a SQL server,  and the architect lead for my group wants me to look into something where the following process happens:

1. Group A is tasked with working on Subject A, where Subject A is mostly found in Package A.

2. Group A checks-out Package A; that is, for the duration of the time Package A is checked out, Package A cannot be altered by anybody else.

3. Group A checks Package A back in, with changes, and all relationships across the model are intact (which is why we don't just export the packages, because it seems that when we import them back in the relationships wind up getting lost if any changes occurred).

I've tried looking into this via the Help section, but the main things I can find refer to the Gantt view and the Package baselines.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:56:17 am by jplusip »

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Capability to "check out" a package?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 08:43:51 am »
Have you considered using security and just applying a group lock to the relevant package?
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

ducatiross

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 12:44:32 am »
Group A checks Package A back in, with changes, and all relationships across the model are intact (which is why we don't just export the packages, because it seems that when we import them back in the relationships wind up getting lost if any changes occurred).

It does seem that if you export a package from the main model to work on in a standalone environment, you can't then re-import it to the main model and have all the previous relationships remain. Is this correct ?

If so, I've lost all the work I did at home yesterday as I can't integrate my changes fully into my main model   :-[ - or is there a way to do this that I haven't found in the normal Import XML process ?

thanks

Matthew

Please give me some advice !

jplusip

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 04:05:14 am »
Have you considered using security and just applying a group lock to the relevant package?

Hmmm... I had thought about locking packages, but is there a way to lock everyone out except for specific users from a package?

It does seem that if you export a package from the main model to work on in a standalone environment, you can't then re-import it to the main model and have all the previous relationships remain. Is this correct ?

If so, I've lost all the work I did at home yesterday as I can't integrate my changes fully into my main model   - or is there a way to do this that I haven't found in the normal Import XML process ?

thanks

Matthew

Please give me some advice !

I'm not entirely sure on this. I think our issue was that if we added relationships that crossed into other packages then those didn't show up in the XML import. I don't think an import->work->export breaks everything worked on previously, but I'm not entirely sure.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 04:05:44 am by jplusip »

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 04:58:02 am »
Use Require User Lock to Edit. That will do the job. In that case everything is locked by default. And only the first one to lock (or unlock which it is really) a package will be able to edit it.

q.

jplusip

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 05:50:04 am »
Thanks for the heads up!