Author Topic: EA v12 (BETA) feedback  (Read 31286 times)

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: EA v12 (BETA) feedback
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2014, 10:57:42 am »
Did you try typing once you pressed Ctrl+N? That's exactly what it does. :)

Tab is moving to the next control, just the default windows behavior. But you can use arrow keys to navigate the list. Just press enter to confirm the current edit first.
Ah, well. The text is not highlighted as being selected. Isn't there a style guide for that Windoze? Or is that EAUI? I'm from the Mac world and UI is quite consistent there. So sorry for being picky.

Now when I tab out the focus is on the Attributes window below, and next in the Notes. I'd expect a tab to move to Type, then to Scope etc. There's definitely a way to make a meaningful chain here ::)

q.

AndyJ

• EA User
  • It's only a model
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2014, 11:02:39 am »
Back in the day...

(I'm showing my age here.)

That was called tab-index order.

Ideally you should be able to navigate the whole screen by tabbing from one field to the next, from left to right, from top to bottom.

By default, fields would gain a tab index number in the order that the fields were placed on screen by the developer, and it's a final task, to set them all to appropriate values.

:)
Sun Tzu: "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of MS Visio floats past."

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2014, 11:09:13 am »
Back in the day...

(I'm showing my age here.)

That was called tab-index order.

Ideally you should be able to navigate the whole screen by tabbing from one field to the next, from left to right, from top to bottom.

By default, fields would gain a tab index number in the order that the fields were placed on screen by the developer, and it's a final task, to set them all to appropriate values.

:)
That's still the case, but the table control is a single item as far as the tab order goes. The arrow keys move around the table and the tab key moves to the next control.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2014, 08:54:19 pm »
Can't agree, Neil. If I'm typing inside the name field the arrow key just moves the cursor. And that's (hopefully) by design. Tab should move to the next control (being the next input field or after the last one the next high level control).

q.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2014, 09:05:15 am »
If you are editing a cell, press enter to confirm and then use the arrow keys.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2014, 10:17:46 am »
Well, a bit different to OS X, of course. However, the Scope does not seem to accept keyboard input.

q,

survex

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2014, 03:21:35 am »
Can anyone post some images of new look and themes?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2014, 04:52:01 am »
Posting images here is a bit tedious. You can download the Beta, rename the old EA program folder, install the beta and rename old/new so you have EA12 and EA folders. Then you can start either. As far as I can see there is not issue in using both versions in parallel as most likely Sparx has concentrated on just GUI changes.

q.

survex

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2014, 05:59:09 am »
I'm not registered user. So I can't download EA 12 beta.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2014, 08:01:51 pm »
I opened this up and couldn't see what you were talking about. The sizes where exactly the same. It wasn't until I resized the dialog that I saw it. It looks to me that the problem is that the wrong part of the UI is expanding with the dialog. I think I can probably get that fixed. Assuming I can, what's your opinion on the rest of the parameters dialog?
The rest seems OK.
Forget that. I just tried adding a parameter.
Some remarks
- I can't type the first part of the type and then use CTRL-space to search for it. (that is a feature we all use a lot)
- Even worse, I can't save my parameters. I can add as many parameters as I like, but as soon as I click on another operation, or select close the parameters are gone! There is just no way to save the new parameters. :o (If I would work at Sparx I would be smacking the testers to the head right about now :D.)
- The [...] button next to the notes of a parameter doesn't do anything

Geert

PS. #!@& Now I have to downgrade just to be able to add parameters.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2014, 09:16:20 pm »
Don't you use both installations in parallel?

q.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2014, 09:32:32 pm »
Don't you use both installations in parallel?

q.
No, I usually just go for it. Uninstall/Reinstall doesn't take too much time anyway.

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2014, 09:54:24 pm »
I still keep the version from 9.3 on. Just renaming the program folders. So I can test things with different versions. Never had an issue with that procedure. The current version's folder is named EA and all others have the version suffix. When installing a new version i rename the old program folder (attach the suffix) and install the new version.

q.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2014, 09:48:16 am »
- I can't type the first part of the type and then use CTRL-space to search for it. (that is a feature we all use a lot)
I'm always surprised when I find a feature I didn't know existed. I've used Ctrl+Space when inplace editing, but not in type combos. I'll see if it's something we can get back.

- Even worse, I can't save my parameters. I can add as many parameters as I like, but as soon as I click on another operation, or select close the parameters are gone! There is just no way to save the new parameters. :o (If I would work at Sparx I would be smacking the testers to the head right about now :D.)
That's odd. I've personally used both of these and haven't had any problems. I just tried again, parameters were saved immediately on creation, name losing focus or type change. The signature on the table was immediately updated changing the stereotype or direction saved immediately but didn't update the signature field. The notes field button brought up a dialog for notes entry when clicked.

Despite trying to reproduce your errors I can't reproduce either, so I'll reserve judgement on the testers for now.

I still keep the version from 9.3 on. Just renaming the program folders. So I can test things with different versions. Never had an issue with that procedure. The current version's folder is named EA and all others have the version suffix. When installing a new version i rename the old program folder (attach the suffix) and install the new version.
I used to have an install of every build back to 4.0 for testing purposes (plus a 3.6 and 3.51.) I culled my collection recently though. Now I only have a selection of builds back to 8.0. If there's anything I need that desperately I can find an installer.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2014, 06:16:40 pm »
I'm always surprised when I find a feature I didn't know existed. I've used Ctrl+Space when inplace editing, but not in type combos. I'll see if it's something we can get back.

That's odd. I've personally used both of these and haven't had any problems. I just tried again, parameters were saved immediately on creation, name losing focus or type change. The signature on the table was immediately updated changing the stereotype or direction saved immediately but didn't update the signature field. The notes field button brought up a dialog for notes entry when clicked.

Despite trying to reproduce your errors I can't reproduce either, so I'll reserve judgement on the testers for now.
To give you a bit more context. I'm using EA on an SQL Server 2012 backend with user security enabled (require user lock to edit). We use window authentication, and my user has full admin rights on the model.
The part of model I'm using is not version controlled (other parts are)

It seems like a part of the dialog wasn't aware that I had a lock on the element.

Geert