Author Topic: EA v12 (BETA) feedback  (Read 31130 times)

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: EA v12 (BETA) feedback
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2014, 06:03:12 pm »
I just installed the third beta (12.0.1203) and I see that there are again some significant improvements.
- I can now save my parameters
- I can get rid of the tabs and go back to the treeview style
- I can get rid of the standards property lists in most dialogs and get back to the old dialog-style of properties.

I still can't do CTRL-space to search for a parameter type, return type or attribute type.

That was a really really useful feature that I certainly would miss if it wasn't reinstated.

Geert

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2014, 09:08:18 pm »
I just installed the third beta (12.0.1203) and I see that there are again some significant improvements.
- I can now save my parameters
Oops I spoke too soon. Now again I can't save parameters anymore.
I'm not sure why this happens, but it probably has something to do with the user security.
I have the impression that sometimes EA forgets to remove the "read-only" flag from that part of the dialog.

Geert

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2014, 02:39:29 pm »
I've spoken with a developer about both of your concerns.

Can't reproduce a locking issue, but the dialog is currently allowing you to select no operation. When you do, it isn't obvious and the behavior matches your description.

We've also added the ctrl+space functionality back in for the next build. I haven't compared it to v11 myself yet.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2014, 11:42:31 pm »
I've spoken with a developer about both of your concerns.

Can't reproduce a locking issue, but the dialog is currently allowing you to select no operation. When you do, it isn't obvious and the behavior matches your description.

We've also added the ctrl+space functionality back in for the next build. I haven't compared it to v11 myself yet.

I just did some additional testing.
I disabled all of my add-ins just to make sure they don't mess anything up -> still problem creating parameters
Then I tested on the EAExample model -> no problem. I can create parameters
Then I tried it on a .eap copy of our SQL Server model -> Problem, can't create parameters.
Then I removed user security from the .eap file -> Still problem, can't create parameters.
Then I removed the version controlled packages form the .eap file and I removed the whole vc configuration -> still problem, can't create parameters.

I'm running out of idea's here. :'(

Geert

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2014, 12:14:06 am »
In a desparate attempt to figure out what was happening here I ran a Project Integrity check on my model.
After fixing dozens of errors the problem seems to be solved. I can now again create parameters.

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2014, 12:42:21 am »
It would be nice if EA could croak after N openings or M days that a project integrity check should be performed. Similar to fsck under *NIX.

q.

Max Widen

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2014, 03:26:16 am »
Found this feature on EA12 description page:
Support for XMI merge using Baseline Merge sets. Provide the ability to selectively merge sets of changes in a multi-user environment. Each user must supply both an XMI of their current work, plus a Baseline merge file detailing how their XMI differs from the original. Only the listed changes are merged and all other changes to the Master package remain untouched.

Does it mean, that two or more users can simultaneously check-out the same version-controlled package and then check-in only the elements they changed?

Whether so or not - could anyone, please, explain, how to find and try this new feature?

Thank you.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2014, 05:36:55 am »
Does it mean, that two or more users can simultaneously check-out the same version-controlled package and then check-in only the elements they changed?

Whether so or not - could anyone, please, explain, how to find and try this new feature?

Thank you.
No. A user that checked out a package holds a lock in the VC preventing others to do the same. First come, first serve.

q.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 05:37:42 am by qwerty »

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2014, 08:15:26 am »
Support for XMI merge using Baseline Merge sets. Provide the ability to selectively merge sets of changes in a multi-user environment. Each user must supply both an XMI of their current work, plus a Baseline merge file detailing how their XMI differs from the original. Only the listed changes are merged and all other changes to the Master package remain untouched.

Thank you.
It doesn't work with version control, but it does allow that basic functionality.

The basic workflow is as follows
    Each modeler receives a copy of the original package
    Each modeler imports and baselines the package
    Each modeler makes their changes (additions, deletions and modifications)
    Each modeler then exports their package creating an XMI file and a Merge file based on their changes
    The original model is then updated with each modelers changes, using the Merge files
    Changes not in the Merge Files (E.g other modelers additions, deletions and updates) are ignored
    The resultant model accurately reflects the sum of the modelers work
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

jecartas

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2014, 09:45:43 pm »
The redesign of the operations/attributes dialog is horrible.
I was just trying to change something to the parameters of an operation, but the two fields that are most used for a parameter (name and type) get the smallest part of the screen.
Just a tiny portion of the screen, only 12 characters for name and 12 characters for type are visible.
But on the on the other hand, I have half the width of my screen to indicate the direction!
Who designed this? And who agreed to it? Have they ever actually used it?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2014, 10:50:23 pm »
The redesign of the operations/attributes dialog is horrible.
I was just trying to change something to the parameters of an operation, but the two fields that are most used for a parameter (name and type) get the smallest part of the screen.
Just a tiny portion of the screen, only 12 characters for name and 12 characters for type are visible.
But on the on the other hand, I have half the width of my screen to indicate the direction!
Who designed this? And who agreed to it? Have they ever actually used it?
Try the latest beta version. They already fixed that.

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2014, 11:45:58 pm »
Actually he uses almost the same wording as you in your first post.   ::)

q.

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
Re: EA v12 (BETA) feedback - resizable dialogue
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2015, 01:31:55 pm »
RC1 dialogue box not resizable, also ...s some text
Orthogonality rules
Using EA14.0 (1422) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2015, 01:39:47 pm »
When I upgraded to RC1 I lost the customisations in the (unnamed?) toolbar, viz

Also all existing saved workspace layouts were lost
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:15:10 pm by skiwi »
Orthogonality rules
Using EA14.0 (1422) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
Re: EA v12 (BETA) feedback - resizable dialogue
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2015, 01:40:42 pm »
Not resizable in RC 1
Orthogonality rules