Author Topic: More than one instance of the Project View  (Read 3060 times)

Dave_Bullet

• EA User
    • View Profile
More than one instance of the Project View
« on: May 04, 2006, 01:42:45 pm »
Be able to create more than one instance of the project view and be able to drag and drop between them.  This would help package restructuring as it would save time.

I have some big packages (ie. reverse engineered data models) and scrolling up / down a list of 400+ tables to relocate into packages takes a lot of time.

Cheers,
David.
"I know I'm close to a good design, but it's like the balloon animals, squeeze in one spot and the problem moves down the line"

thomaskilian

Re: More than one instance of the Project View
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 06:22:22 am »
Me too! Even for smaller projects it's sometimes very tedious to move elements to different places.

trishus

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 08:55:12 am »
Me three ... out desire was to have multiple views of same project directed towards the user (business analysts versus quality assurance analysts versus developers) where each would want to see the project from different starting points.
Patricia
LittleHouse Consulting
www.LittleHouseConsulting.com

Bruno.Cossi

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 09:56:01 am »
Hi Patricia,

you can do that without multiple instances of Project View - that is what Views (admittedly, there is a bit of confusion of terms) are for.

Bruno

Me three ... out desire was to have multiple views of same project directed towards the user (business analysts versus quality assurance analysts versus developers) where each would want to see the project from different starting points.

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 04:04:56 am »
Still, the multiple Project View idea is excellent!

Patricia,

I agree with Bruno about the UML 'views.' This is yet another area of UML where the "Language" is what you make of it. There is little in the way of 'practical' guidance in the UML spec in this area, so vendors - and us poor users - are left to their own devices. Sparx has chosen a lightweight approach, which leaves us a lot of flexibility. On the whole I find it works pretty well, once you put some effort into it.

In this furum there are some pretty good approaches to using EA's views. It is certainly worth a few hours of searching. I won't suggest any in particular, since: I think some of the ones to be found here are better than anything I would come up with; and I myself have changed my 'preferred' approach to this, and will doubtless do so again before I consider myself satisfied - another reason I'm happy Sparx has given us lots of flexibility.

Just my 0.02 CAD.

David
No, you can't have it!

Bruno.Cossi

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 06:08:33 am »
Still, the multiple Project View idea is excellent!

I did not mean to suggest it wasn't :-)

Bruno
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 06:08:46 am by Bruno.Cossi »

trishus

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 06:22:45 am »
Yes, we get the multiple views of the project as the way to organize the structure of the project - and we are buying into most of the defaults set by Sparx (business model, use case model).  Some we are elevating to the primary tier of "views" (actor catalogs, business rule catalogs) and some we do not use (project model).

However, I guess what I thought was being requested here was the ability to have multiple "project view" tabs, where each one would have it's default template of the project view tree structure.

In our discussions with our business analysts versus QA versus developers, the primary orientation of what each wants and expects to see is very different.  Developers prefer the structure presented by most of the templates delivered the tool; the technical view.  However, the business analysts prefer to have the first tier of "views" be each business process in the project and all related material to that business project as sub-views (folder, whatever).  Our QA analysts tend to side with the business analysts but usually want to attack the project by Use Cases.  It's a usability thing and just a re-sorting and redisplay of the information collected about the project stored in the repository.

Thus, our desire to have multiple template "project views" of the same project geared towards the end users.  Multiple "tabs" each with a different template of views that sorts the project different ways adn presents the information based on the end user.  What I'm hearing is that the EA Tool is limited to a single "project view" tab and we cannot extend nor would they consider an extension because of UML specifications.  I don't buy that.  If you want the tool to be flexible, allow for multiple instances of the project view tab to allow for the project model as a whole to be displayed using several different approaches at once.
Patricia
LittleHouse Consulting
www.LittleHouseConsulting.com

«Midnight»

• EA Guru
  • That nice Mister Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 11:37:29 am »
I think I'm getting it now Patricia.

This might be something along the lines of a filter, that could be set depending on, say, the role of the user. It would present a customized 'view' of the project as a whole. This might involve, for example, anything from the elements (or types thereof) shown, to the order in which they were presented, to (perhaps) the ways in which they were grouped.

This would be a fairly large undertaking for Sparx. That said, it would be a really powerful feature!

David
No, you can't have it!