Author Topic: Local Paths support for any type  (Read 2097 times)

DanG83616

• EA User
    • View Profile
Local Paths support for any type
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:23:20 am »
Is there a way to specify a local path for linked files?

Web links don't quite meet my needs and I use p4 to version control the documents and, by side effect, distribute them. If I could define a local path type then I could link to file just like I link to source code.

Example:
A visio drawing has a very useful graphic in it and I'd like to link it to a use case element. The visio file is checked into perforce and I see it at D:\dev\ProjectX\Models\Requirements\foo.vsd. Other colaborators see it in different local paths but always under ...\Models\Requirements. Thus, I'd set MODEL_REC_DOCS to D:\dev\ProjectX\Models\Requirements. Other colaborators would set MODEL_REC_DOCS according to their local tree. Thus, the links would work for us all.

Thanks,
Dan

peter.zrnko

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Local Paths support for any type
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 03:37:09 pm »
I want to second your request for this functionality. It will be very useful to  have the possibility to use local paths everywhere not just for generated code files.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 03:37:34 pm by peter.zrnko »
Peter

DanG83616

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Local Paths support for any type
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 02:58:35 am »
I'm having good results using EA as a tool to implement specific practices in CMMI RD and REQM process areas. This feature would make it a lot easier to link to artifacts created outside of EA. In my case, none of the user-generated artifacts are EA elements.