Author Topic: Grand Unified Field (Issue, Change, etc.) Theory  (Read 1776 times)

fwoolz

• EA User
  • We have met the enemy, and he is us.<Pogo, 1970>
    • View Profile
Grand Unified Field (Issue, Change, etc.) Theory
« on: October 28, 2009, 02:09:29 pm »
Hi all,

It would be great if things like the Issues and Changes lists provided in the Maintenance view gave you the ability to create persistently linked Issue and Change objects in the model, with full round-tripping between the lists and their corresponding objects. It is possible, for example, to create an Issue object from an Issue in the Issues list, but the link between the list and the newly created object disappears once the object is created and placed on the diagram. (A side note - it would be much better if the newly created object was placed somewhere in the current diagram view rather than at the upper left corner!)

Cheers,
Fred Woolsey
Fred Woolsey
Interfleet Technology Inc.

Always be ready to laugh at yourself; that way, you beat everyone else to the punch.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Unified Field (Issue, Change, etc.) Theo
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 03:56:53 pm »
Hi all,

It would be great if things like the Issues and Changes lists provided in the Maintenance view gave you the ability to create persistently linked Issue and Change objects in the model, with full round-tripping between the lists and their corresponding objects. [size=18]...[/size]
Hi Fred,

Not sure I fully understand what you're asking for here.

Firstly, it seems to me that if the Issue/Change etc is "internal" to the element then you should ask for the extension of the Compartments and Linked Note features to accommodate the entire range of element properties.

If the Issue/Change covers multiple Elements, then it needs to be externalized anyway and you have the linkage ability. What you don't have, is the ability to see the linked Issues etc within the interanl list (as you sort of, but not properly, can do with Responsibilities/Requirements).  Again, the extension of this functionality to the complete set of internal/external properties would be the solution.

Is that what you were after?

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

son-of-sargasso

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 08:13:54 pm »
Well, I'm not sure about this.  I always thought (which is kinda dangerous I know) that the Maintenance View things were about the model.  As in a model issue, "Jerome, I don't think your txtWidget really adds anything to the native textbox apart from complexity", or model bug, "Jeremy, when you set the parent of txtWodget to toastbix did you mean textbox or aren't we feeding you regularly enough?".  Whereas the model elements were about the system.

jm20c
bruce
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 08:14:56 pm by barrydrive »

Graham_Moir

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 09:55:51 pm »
As I understand it,  issues appear at least twice in the model.

First,  under Project/Documentation/Issues..  here they are model wide issues.

Second, under the Maintenance window via View/Maintenance where you get the 4 tabs of defects, issues, changes and tasks.  In this case any items here are directly (internally) related to an element.

fwoolz

• EA User
  • We have met the enemy, and he is us.<Pogo, 1970>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 01:25:09 pm »
All,

Mea culpa for not being clear enough. I'm referring to element issues, not model-wide issues. The element issues list on the maintenance tab provides the option to create an Issue element on the current diagram linked to the element it relates to (good so far...), but the new Issue element and the original list entry thenceforth have nothing to do with each other, as far as I can tell. It would be quite useful, I think, to maintain a link (via GUID, perhaps, maybe by means of the factotum table t_xref) so that updates to one can be reflected in the other.

Cheers,
Fred Woolsey
Fred Woolsey
Interfleet Technology Inc.

Always be ready to laugh at yourself; that way, you beat everyone else to the punch.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 07:51:32 pm »
Thanks for clarifying Fred.

FWIW, my original points above still stand.  I don't believe you should have two "things" linked - the "internal" and "external" issue.

To qualify what I said, however, if you have an external issue that you want to associate with only one element then that should be allowable also, and as I said above should be visible in the issues list.

In my view, these maintenance items should be first class citizens and aggregated under one or more items of other types so that they appear in the appropriate dialogs.  It's essentially the same problem of the attribute and the named association end.  They should be viewed as alternate renderings of the same thing.

My AU$0.05
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!