Author Topic: Half baked idea re reallly big classes  (Read 2048 times)

son-of-sargasso

• EA User
    • View Profile
Half baked idea re reallly big classes
« on: October 28, 2009, 08:24:02 pm »
This is just me thinking again.  I don't even know if its possible, maybe a Sparxian can comment.

You know those really bug classes, like MyFancyControlThatInheritsEverythingAndThenAdds903OddNewAttributes, it would be kinda nice to be able to set its height in a diagram and have scrollbars to skim up and down in it.

I am going to emphasize here, <emphasis> I only mean on the screen</emphasis>.When the diagram is printed it should be layed out according to the set visibilties.

Currently when I add "that class" to a diagram or change the visibilities, it expands the diagram to about 30gazillion pages and disturbs all the associations .  

Comments?

bruce

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Half baked idea re really big classes
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 12:14:36 am »
[size=18]...[/size]
You know those really bug classes, [size=18]...[/size]
I thought you were an Aussie and not a Kiwi  ;)

As to the substance of your question, I think it might be too dangerous - having print and screen different.  However, it does seem to me that with the use of the HTML report, a diagram should be able to be designated - hardcopy only, Web/Screen only or both.  That way, you could have your slider functionality as a Feature Visibility Option which you might set for those diagrams you wanted to.  If you hardcopy printed the diagram with that feature set, you'd get a "truncated" class with an appropriate indicator.

It IS a problem which does warrant a usable solution.

My AU$0.05,
Paolo
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 12:19:38 am by PaoloFCantoni »
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

son-of-sargasso

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Half baked idea re reallly big classes
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 09:44:15 pm »
I thought you were an Aussie and not a Kiwi
 BAH!@#$& I'm a tester remember, all classes are bug classes!

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 12:34:52 pm »
I thought you were an Aussie and not a Kiwi
 BAH!@#$& I'm a tester remember, all classes are bug classes!
Oh SO good!

I see you haven't lost anything by your recent absence from these topics...

Cheerz & Avagoodweegend
Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

Thomas Mercer-Hursh

• EA User
  • Computing Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:17:51 am »
People keep telling me that one shouldn't have that sort of really big class ... having one is a sign that one hasn't decomposed the model properly.  So, I suppose one answer ... but certainly not the one you would prefer ... is "don't do that". :)

It does seem to me to be problematic to have screen and print different.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Half baked idea re really big classes
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 05:09:59 pm »
People keep telling me that one shouldn't have that sort of really big class ... having one is a sign that one hasn't decomposed the model properly.  So, I suppose one answer ... but certainly not the one you would prefer ... is "don't do that". :)
Hi Thomas,

Welcome back!  Haven't seen you in a while...
It does seem to me to be problematic to have screen and print different.
You mean if a diagram is designated both screen and print (in my suggestion above)?

Otherwise, we're discovering the different technologies have different presentation requirements.

Paolo
-Semantica-

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 08:24:44 pm »

Thomas,

You are so right, but unfortunately we don't all have the luck to start a project from scratch.
I too am working on a model that contains some "facade pattern gone wrong" classes with literally hundreds of operations.
Speaking for myself, I'm trying to get that sanitized, but (believe it or not) there are more pressing issues with the model right now  :'(

Geert

beginner

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 08:48:14 am »
s-o-s,
I think scrolling is kind of oversized. But sometimes I wish I had some more fancy options to make things visible in compartments. Kind of context awareness or programmability. Like setting a switch: show this or that part. Would also be nice for enumerations and classes like that.

b.