Author Topic: SQL in RTF templates?  (Read 1437 times)

fwoolz

• EA User
  • We have met the enemy, and he is us.<Pogo, 1970>
    • View Profile
SQL in RTF templates?
« on: June 04, 2010, 11:37:09 am »
When working with the RTF report generator, I have often found myself wishing that I could plunk an SQL query between template tags to get just the elements and fields I want given the context set by the tag, in the order I want them, and then feed them into, say, a table with RTF merge fields acting as placeholders for the results of the query. My only recourse to date has been either to a) get as close as I can with the RTF generator and "settle;" or b) go outside of EA and access the underlying RDBMS directly.

Does anyone second this?

Thanks,
Fred W
Fred Woolsey
Interfleet Technology Inc.

Always be ready to laugh at yourself; that way, you beat everyone else to the punch.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: SQL in RTF templates?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 01:20:55 pm »
Hi Fred,

Can you expand on this?  I'm not clear what you're requesting...

How would this be different from using a bespoke query to select the elements via virtual document?

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

fwoolz

• EA User
  • We have met the enemy, and he is us.<Pogo, 1970>
    • View Profile
Re: SQL in RTF templates?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 05:13:26 am »
I was thinking of something with a bit more flexibility, e.g. a bit of programmatic code mixed with pure SQL, that would allow the report to adapt, as it were, to the results as they are being generated. Maybe a better description would be scripting + SQL embedded in a report template.

Cheers,
Fred W
Fred Woolsey
Interfleet Technology Inc.

Always be ready to laugh at yourself; that way, you beat everyone else to the punch.