Author Topic: Undocumented feature: Repository.CustomCommand  (Read 1422 times)

fwoolz

• EA User
  • We have met the enemy, and he is us.<Pogo, 1970>
    • View Profile
Undocumented feature: Repository.CustomCommand
« on: June 11, 2010, 05:27:52 am »
Is it possible to get a list of the various commands (class, method, and parameters) supported by the (undocumented) CustomCommand() method?

Thanks!
Fred Woolsey
Interfleet Technology Inc.

Always be ready to laugh at yourself; that way, you beat everyone else to the punch.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Undocumented feature: Repository.CustomCommand
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 08:15:08 am »
No.  Commands available through CustomCommand are undocumented because they are subject to change without notice.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

fwoolz

• EA User
  • We have met the enemy, and he is us.<Pogo, 1970>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 10:05:41 am »
ARGGHH!!! Wuffo that be? (Translation: "Right, then! Why, pray tell, is that the case?")

This seems like a likely candidate for automating UI actions otherwise available only by manual user action (e.g. opening the properties dialog for an element, along the lines of DoCmd in Office VBA). I know that at least one such action is CustomCommand("Repository", "Sync", "<yadayada>") to synchronize stereotypes from the AI; in fact, I found this out from y'all at Sparx!

I would seriously consider (but then I don't have to do the work!) standardizing on an existing set of "CustomCommand" calls (the "interoperable" command set) while leaving room for custom calls that may change with time. Other than the work involved, I don't see why this would be a problem.

[Likewise with Repository.Execute(SQL statement)...]

Cheers,
Fred W
Fred Woolsey
Interfleet Technology Inc.

Always be ready to laugh at yourself; that way, you beat everyone else to the punch.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 02:52:00 pm »
Ok, you would consider a standardized set of supported commands.  In a way that is happening.  Any commands that are standardized will be added to the automation objects themselves.

We are currently planning this for the Synch Profile command.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com