Author Topic: Multiple Diagrams  (Read 2257 times)

Lars H

• EA User
    • View Profile
Multiple Diagrams
« on: May 08, 2008, 07:54:28 pm »
It would be very useful to be able to view several diagrams at once.

thomas.kilian

Re: Multiple Diagrams
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:31:26 pm »
or to find related threads here in the forum

Lars H

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:15:29 pm »
I'm new here and did not find anything. Could you point me to the related thread?

Frank Horn

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:19:37 pm »
I didn't find the old threads either. Search for "diagrams" and you get swamped, search for "MDI" and you get nothing.

Anyway, it's been requested many times before, but Sparx seems reluctant to implement it. They're probably afraid of the synchronization issues they would have to face. When you change an element and it is visible in the current diagram, you will see the change immediately. When you switch to another diagram containing the same element, you will see the change as well.

But when has it been changed on the other diagram? When you changed the element, or when you switched to the diagram? Nobody knows but Sparx, but I guess it's the latter.

If you could see more than one diagram at a time, and the element were visible on all of them, you would get some funny flickering, and maybe would have to wait a while before EA reacted again. I guess it's something like that of which they are afraid. They just couldn't hide the time it takes to render a diagram in the diagram switching event anymore.

Transition Technologies

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 12:52:00 am »
Good point Frank. I also think that having several diagrams at once would make EA operations slower.
Regards,
Transition Technologies
Authorized Reseller and Training Partner of Sparx Systems
www.ea.tt.com.pl

thomas.kilian

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 08:14:25 am »
Basically Sparx suggests to open a 2nd instance. Since you could mess around the 2nd one should be the free reader (my recommendation). Floating diagram windows however are appreciated. I remember times when the tabs were introduced. Before that we had only a single window.

I don't think it would slow down. It's just concurrent access to a database. Nothing unusual, is it?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 08:16:17 am by thomas.kilian »

SomersetGraham

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 07:10:17 pm »
Hi
There is an addin on the community website that enables you to view diagrams in separate windows

see http://community.sparxsystems.com/resources/scripts/simple-free-add-open-diagram-another-window
Using V12

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:54:41 pm »
Just in case you haven't tried it yet, the Floating Diagrams in 9.3.930 allow you to view several diagrams at once. Just drag the diagram tab from the main area and drop it somewhere.

Yes, you can drag-and-drop between diagrams and yes, changes made to an element in one diagram updates the others. Pretty sweet feature.  :)
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

Peter Doomen

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 09:38:42 pm »
And you can insert a diagram frame into another diagram since many versions of EA ago. I often use that trick for creating "landing pages" and overviews. Just treat the existing diagram in the tree as an element and drag it to an empty diagram. Then add other diagrams as you need.

P.
----------------------------------------
Book on EA: http://bit.ly/EATricks
----------------------------------------