Author Topic: XML export as DITA  (Read 1792 times)

aldr1c

• EA User
    • View Profile
XML export as DITA
« on: November 03, 2014, 01:51:27 am »
In order to be able to integrate a number of tools and documents together, we are looking at formatting much of our output as DITA (Darwin Information Typing Architecture - move towards single source publishing) such that we can take objects and topics from a common pool, assemble them in the manner we need (formal output, presentation, web, etc), automatically format it the way we need it (DITA-Maps etc) and publish to our teams and customers. I realise that there is a bunch that can be done with the tool as it stands, however the ability to export a structure (series of views in a set format/tree structure) as DITA topics etc would be very useful.

Thoughts?

Colin Coates

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: XML export as DITA
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 04:07:07 am »
I've got some experience with DITA, and I am wondering whether you are rushing towards a problem rather than a solution.  ;)

I agree that it is a good idea (at least in theory) to have your content in a format that can be re-purposed into various delivery formats (such as HTML, EPUB, PDF), but it requires the support of a lot of tooling to do the heavy lifting. So my first question is:
Do you already have a proven tool that can transform DITA content into the formats that you want it (i.e a proof of concept)?

If so, then what do you want to save in DITA format that is currently in Sparx Enterprise Architect?