Author Topic: Feature request: consistence of colour dialogues  (Read 6402 times)

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Feature request: consistence of colour dialogu
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 07:11:44 pm »
That's just because there's no style guide implemented at Sparx. (BTW Mac users have just one color selection because there's more or less only one color selection method offered by the system.)

q.

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 09:52:59 am »
not in EA 12
Orthogonality rules
Using EA14.0 (1422) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 11:14:55 am »
Including the font color selection (which is a windows standard dialog) I see 3 different ways for dropdown color selection, and two different dialogs. But I could be missing something. My belief is that this create a relatively small impediment to useability.

Sure, this would be nice. But I think there are plenty of more pressing issues (and more valuable features.)
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 08:16:50 pm »
My favorite here: One wood worker meets another one in the forest. While the first is busy swinging his axe the seconds observes him one for a while and then says: "You could be faster if you'd sharpen your axe". So the other replies: "No time. Got to chop those trees."

q.

Graham_Moir

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 07:01:16 pm »
My favorite here: One wood worker meets another one in the forest. While the first is busy swinging his axe the seconds observes him one for a while and then says: "You could be faster if you'd sharpen your axe". So the other replies: "No time. Got to chop those trees."

Excellent analogy !

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 08:21:08 pm »
I heard that at a management course from the trainer many years ago and never forgot it. So many times I saw that wood worker in real life :-X

q.

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 02:20:38 pm »
Here are the four separate colour dialogues available in EA 12

Orthogonality rules
Using EA14.0 (1422) on Windows 10 Enterprise/64 bit. Repositories in SQLServer2014 R2 & Access2003/JET4.0

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 04:32:55 pm »
Yes, that graphic matches what I said in my previous post.

3 different ways for dropdown color selection, and two different dialogs.

Is there anyone here that thinks this is the most important issue impacting their use of EA?

PS. The wood worker analogy really doesn't fit. These dialogs aren't written/maintained by us. (You can see by enabling selecting a dark theme that they are not ours.) Even the time for developers to use a different interface many, many times over (and it doesn't happen often) doesn't compare to the time I've personally spent replying to this thread.

My analogy: A camper meets a wood worker in the forest and sees that he uses a two different axes for different trees. While the wood working is busy swinging his axe the camper interrupts every second swing saying: "You could be faster if you didn't swap axes". So the other repeatedly stops and takes the time to reply instead of using either axe.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 04:34:58 pm by simonm »
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2015, 04:54:33 pm »
Simon,

I don't think that anyone thinks this is the most important issue, but...

The fact that this is not consistent, along with other inconsistencies in EA leaves an unfinished and inconsistent image of the application at the users.
That image reflects to the overall feeling of quality the users get.

I would compare it to a bad paint job on an otherwise fine house. No matter how good the quality of the bricks and cement, it's the paint job that will have the most impact on the perceived quality of the house.

And you know what the marketing guys tell us:
Image is everything!

Geert

Graham_Moir

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2015, 07:35:41 pm »
The fact that this is not consistent, along with other inconsistencies in EA leaves an unfinished and inconsistent image of the application at the users.

That image reflects to the overall feeling of quality the users get.

Completely agree.  Also saying that the dialogues are not written by Sparx doesn't help either.  Someone at Sparx must have decided to use and mix them.

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 11:24:09 am »
Also saying that the dialogues are not written by Sparx doesn't help either.  Someone at Sparx must have decided to use and mix them.
It's not that simple, but my point there was that there isn't development time going into maintaining separate dialogs. This probably isn't going to help either, but I'll try to clarify again.

• One dialog is called almost exclusively from the rich text editors. The editors can't easily be changed to use the other dialog.
  • I believe that even with the difference in color selection the font dialog is best left alone. As a result I am disregarding the color selection in that dialog.
  • All the drop downs are the same. The only difference is that some offer an expanded color selection while others offer a simplified view. I don't know if there is any reasoning behind that difference, but it would be a legitimate design decision to differentiate.
  • Unless I'm mistaken, when this thread was first created, the usage was much more inconsistent.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

skiwi

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2015, 06:41:11 am »
  • One dialog is called almost exclusively from the rich text editors. The editors can't easily be changed to use the other dialog.
  • I believe that even with the difference in color selection the font dialog is best left alone. As a result I am disregarding the color selection in that dialog.
  • All the drop downs are the same. The only difference is that some offer an expanded color selection while others offer a simplified view. I don't know if there is any reasoning behind that difference, but it would be a legitimate design decision to differentiate.
  • Unless I'm mistaken, when this thread was first created, the usage was much more inconsistent.
  • The colour dialogue used in the rich text editor is the same as that used in EA notes. In fact this colour dialogue is the one I would suggest be standardised upon.
  • I'd suggest that there is no legitimate reason to show different (and confusing) colour suggestions - this in fact is the crux of my suggestion to simplify them (i.e. make then consistent)
  • You are correct, usage has improved. Please don't stop until it is finished and there is only one colour dialogue in use.
The reason I raise this issue again is the pragmatic one of developing a diagram, and using colour coding, and being unable to (easily) use the same colour because the colour dialogues are different. EA doesn't need to be this hard to use.
Orthogonality rules