Author Topic: Importing XMI from the OMG  (Read 3014 times)

only4thefish

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Importing XMI from the OMG
« on: May 25, 2016, 05:55:03 am »
I've been wondering if there's any real use for the XMI "machine consumable" files from the OMG.  My initial impression was that I could import a set of XMI files and create a profile from them.  Specifically I was attempting to import the ReqIF files, reqif.xmi, reqif.driver.xmi, and reqif.cmof.  While the first two import with out an apparent issue, the .cmof file (also an XMI file) fails to import with EA indicating failure due to errors, but the log file states no errors:

Importing Model from XMI
Root Package:
Resolving Classifiers
Resolving Owners
Resolving Attribute Types
Resolving Parameter Types
Resolving Association-Classes
Resolving Properties for Association Ends
Resolving InteractionOccurences
Fixup external references
Import Complete!

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Importing XMI from the OMG
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 06:44:58 am »
AFAIK EA can only export MOF, but not import it. The XMI in contrast can (as you have seen) been imported and viewed/edited.

q.

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 08:02:20 am »
The consistency of the OMG XMI files also seem to vary.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 09:15:41 am »
There are two problems that I am aware of importing XMI from OMG.

1. Use of canonical XMI. Simply put this variant of XMI moves the location of properties from where they were historically always found. The result is that you often see unnamed classes etc.
2. Use of unknown/unsupported model types. This can be seen where a profile XMI doesn't import properly or the use of non-uml XMI.

Both of these are being addressed, but I can't provide a timeline.

Other than that, I'm not sure what you're expecting to get by importing these files. ReqIF is an exchange format. It's intended to work even between non MOF based tools. Importing the XMI won't get you any closer to an import or export of the format.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

only4thefish

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 03:40:06 am »
Other than that, I'm not sure what you're expecting to get by importing these files. ReqIF is an exchange format. It's intended to work even between non MOF based tools. Importing the XMI won't get you any closer to an import or export of the format.

Well, at the least it allows me to look at the format architecture.  Also, I was curious where it would lead.  Obviously not far.