Author Topic: MDG - How to disallow a certain connectors from use on certain entities?  (Read 1578 times)

EAUSer100

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I'm fairly novice at creating custom profiles and MDGs, but have a simple one setup and working thanks to a tutorial. I have a custom connector called "ConstructedOf" (I don't want to start a war as to whether this is already catered for in UML profile etc).....!

I have three new entity types (stereotyped from the Class MetaClass). Let's call them "House", Garden and Brick"

Now I want to make sure that my users can ONLY use the connectors to show that "House"(es) are constructed of "Brick"(s)

Is there a way to constrain the connector (or entities) to only allow this? (The same questions also applies as to whether I can allow only "House"(es) and "Brick"(s) onto my custom diagram "WallPlans"?

Many thanks

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: MDG - How to disallow a certain connectors from use on certain entities?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 07:19:05 pm »
The easiest way to get that done is to build an add-in.
Then you can react to events such as the creation of a new element, and validate your own rules.

There is a way to combine an MDG and an add-in so that it appears as one whole for the users, but I don't know they exact details on how to do that.
It should be described somewhere in the help file.

Geert

EAUSer100

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Re: MDG - How to disallow a certain connectors from use on certain entities?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 07:28:44 pm »
Thanks very much - I've not even heard of add-ins - I'll get on Google! Anyone that has a link to a simple example or tutorial would be appreciated.

Best and thanks

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: MDG - Enhance [ ] Strict Connector Syntax?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 09:57:49 am »
EA already has a mechanism to disallow certain connectors between entities:  [ ] Strict Connector Syntax - unfortunately, it is TOO restrictive.  It only applies to a specific vision of UML, BPMN 2.0 and SysML 1.2 & 1.3.  It seems to me that there is an opportunity for a GREAT enhancement to the process.  It seems to me it could be easily enhanced to support an instance's specific MDG.

As I've indicated we automatically generate our QuickLinker definitions from a matrix similar to the ArchiMate 2 & 3 tables.  The QuickLinker says what is possible - between metatypes.  However, by implication, it also says what is NOT possible between metatypes.  Accordingly, as we create the QuickLinker entries, we also generate a table of relationships between metatypes, indicating whether it is allowed of not.  This is specific to the metamodel we are using for our modelling.  We then use the table to find anomalous connectors within the model.  We have to do this since we have to disable [ ] Strict Connector Syntax, otherwise it would stop some of our valid connectors.

If we could add:  [ ] Use QuickLinker Definitions, it would be easy for EA to disallow those connectors not explicitly allowed in the QuickLinker.

Thoughts?
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!