Author Topic: Importing Visio via MDG Add-in - how to improve import quality?  (Read 2761 times)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Importing Visio via MDG Add-in - how to improve import quality?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 02:27:25 pm »
I usually take the approach teach them the modelling notation as I teach how to do various diagrams with various notations. Examples seem to be the best way to get them up the learning curve quickly. For enterprise architecture using archimate I start off with motivations then move through the various domains such as business, application, infrastructure etc. Each time introducing something new that Sparx EA can do.

I get people to start modelling and tell them not to worry about being correct.  Then I read their model back to them and get them to confirm whether what I read is what they intended to convey.  ArchiMate especially should break down into a series of statements, and be able to be read like a story.  Story telling is a fundamentally human activity and we train children to do it in schools so I find that people pick up how to improve their modelling this way.
A couple of times, in the past, I have automated the process of replaying (some parts of) the model back to the user.  But not since I started using Sparx EA.  It would be interesting to see what could be done.  As you say GB, it sure sorts out if your modelling is correct.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!