Author Topic: Element Status & Connector Status  (Read 2557 times)

faisalshehab

• EA User
    • View Profile
Element Status & Connector Status
« on: October 16, 2016, 03:57:27 am »
Hi Everyone,

Background: We setup SPARX as an organization wide/shared repository in one database instance. All projects has a separate package as their workspace.  We also have govern/trusted content on a separate package, so all projects can reuse and account in their project development.

The Element Status raised passionate discussions on our group. Some sees it as a life cycle status versus other proposing to use it to whether is trusted/verified, or work in progress.

So we need to:
* classify all elements and connectors whether trusted or WIP, or was trusted but no longer in use.
* We also know that projects will reuse these elements and might propose new connectors as a result of adding relationships to current state, or propose a relationship for a future, but yet still consider non-trusted because it is not yet governed, so we need to differentiate between what has been trusted, and its life cycle. also other projects might propose similar relationships between same elements, and we need to identify who is proposing what? and make sure projects can only see their own architecture elements and relationships (we doing this by using model views).

We looked at the Tagged Values for this, and it was strait forward, but it is time consuming and in some cases you need scripts to do bulk remove, but edits, and bulk adds (very error prone and labour intensive). The reason we looked at the Tagged Value as a solution is because connectors don't have a status attribute.

Any suggestion on how deal with such case? or are we completely off on this?

Another Question about the Element Status.

The "Proposed" Status is always the default one, and if I removed all the statuses from the project settings, and set new statuses, there is no way I can set a default status. so if "Proposed" is not part of the list, the default is always blank.

Is there is a ways to setup a default status that is not a "Proposed"?

Thank you for your help.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Element Status & Connector Status
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 10:02:50 am »
AFAIK you can't set a default for the status. I'd look into an add-in to do that in case it's needed. You just need to subscribe to EA_OnPostNewElement and modify the status.

Connectors still are 2nd class citizens in EA. So TVs are the way to go. Besides normal scripting you should also look into add-ins. Geert's EA-Matic could also be of help here. And of course his blog about writing an add-in as well.

q.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 08:44:14 pm by qwerty »

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 05:43:52 pm »
Is there is a ways to setup a default status that is not a "Proposed"?
Have you tried using the template package?

Geert

faisalshehab

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 07:54:58 am »
Thank You Geert,

I used the template package before, but I never thought it has anything to do with element status.  does it? and how?

Faisal

faisalshehab

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 08:02:59 am »
Thank you querty,
I was looking yesterday on the new EA 13 features, and I saw this new "Time Aware Model" feature, and that might solve some of my dilemma regarding tracking element life cycle and evolution.

Anybody looked at that feature and see whether it is useful in tracking the evolution of elements?
Faisal

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 02:29:13 pm »
Thank You Geert,

I used the template package before, but I never thought it has anything to do with element status.  does it? and how?

Faisal
Everything you put the in the template package is used as a .. "template" for new elements.
I'm not sure if state is one of the fields included in the template.

Geert

michielper

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 06:32:56 pm »
The Template Package approach works well, also for the Status! :)