Author Topic: Enterprise Architect v13 upgrade guide  (Read 3889 times)

Eamonn John Casey

• EA User
    • View Profile
Enterprise Architect v13 upgrade guide
« on: November 01, 2016, 10:49:16 pm »
Hi!

Is there any information / Product documentation on how to Upgrade from v12.1 to v13? Is it just a matter of running the Client installer? Is there changes to the database or the Cloud Server?

Thanks in advance,
Eamonn J. Casey

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Enterprise Architect v13 upgrade guide
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 08:51:35 am »
There have been a few other posts with this question.

There is a new version of the cloud service too. However, EA 13 will work when connected to the old or new cloud server. So will 12.

So feel free to just update EA itself.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Guillaume

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • www.umlchannel.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 07:05:19 pm »
Hi Simon,

I noticed that the DB Schema has changed for EA13 (EASchema v851 -> v1220 on http://www.sparxsystems.com/resources/corporate/index.html#sql_scripts).
This is the first I see a change in the DB schema for a new version.
According to the above link, the new DB schema does not impact EA features: "In the most recent release, 'schema 1220' consists mainly of index updates which improve Enterprise Architect's overall performance in larger models."

- does upgrading a v851 DB schema e.g. on a MySQL or Postgres DB only involve creating additional indexes?
- will previous EA version work ok with the new v1220 schema?
- does the index performance improvement apply to EA13 client, or only the new Cloud Service?

Another question on EA13; could existing VB scripts be affected by API methods or SQL scripts?

Thanks,
Guillaume
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:37:06 pm by Guillaume »
Guillaume

Blog: www.umlchannel.com | Free utilities addin: www.eautils.com

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 09:04:38 am »
Yes, there are schema updates that were released with version 13. They are fully backward compatible with all versions of EA (>4), and all versions of the cloud service. The added indexes are primarily from analyzing performance issues with real world models on versions prior to EA 13. In general they will improve performance regardless of EA version.

Nothing in your custom SQL queries should be impacted by the changes.

We have had two reports of automation issues with 13. One was related to an accidental name change (for case-sensitive languages) in the classes used to write schema composer scripts. The other was because the order of properties in the EventProperties class changed for one broadcast event. That was deemed as not a bug. Hard coding array indexes because it's worked in the past is not reasonable programming practice and shouldn't be expected to work.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Guillaume

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • www.umlchannel.com
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 05:15:38 pm »
Thanks for your reply Simon.
As regards with the cloud service, if a client upgrades the Cloud Service on the server with the latest version whilst keeping existing EA clients to v11 ou 12, will users notice improvements?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:41:53 pm by Guillaume »
Guillaume

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 08:04:22 am »
In most circumstances, users of 11 or 12 won't notice the difference upgrading the cloud service. The exception that I can think of is for saving of large linked documents or baselines (when not using IIS.) There were some optimizations to the way the service handled large requests that were noticeable. Although users of 13 will get double the benefit, because sending the data was also optimized.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 06:28:46 pm »
Simon,

A while ago someone (I don't remember who, what it Ian) reported an issue with the latest SQL Server schema because of a change from ntext to varchar.
Do you know if that issue was resolved?
I would love to get rid of the ntext fields as they are not very query friendly, but I wan't to be sure that I don't run into any trouble using the latest SQL Server schema

Geert

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 09:10:23 am »
Geert,

That issue turned out to be user error.

I spoke with our DB experts.

At first they couldn't reproduce the problem. Eventually they discovered that the difference is that it works when using an OLE drive, but it doesn't when using an ODBC driver. Apparently although Microsoft has been recommending changing to use nvarchar(max) for 10+ years, their odbc driver still doesn't support it.

Note that our help does specify to connect using the OLE db provider. Not the ODBC driver.

http://www.sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/13.0/model_repository/connecttosqlserver.html
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Guillaume

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • www.umlchannel.com
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 07:21:57 pm »
Quick questions from a client ref the DB Schema upgrade:

1- the Postgres schema upgrade creates 2 indexes on the public.t_files table - see:

CREATE INDEX ix_files_appliestonamesize ON public.t_files (appliesto ASC,name ASC,filesize ASC)
;
CREATE INDEX ix_files_appliestonamedatesize ON public.t_files (appliesto ASC,name ASC,filedate
ASC,filesize ASC)
;
Is this a typo? what is the reason for changing the public DB?

2-is the schema stored somewhere so one can check what version is currently applied on a running EA project? (without having to run a db schema compared)

thanks
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:35:24 pm by Guillaume »
Guillaume

Simon M

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 08:40:58 am »
1. It does look suspicious, but I'd recommend you send in a bug report on that one to get an answer from someone who knows the schemas properly.

2. I don't think so. I'd just check for the presence of one of the indexes that were added.
Simon

support@sparxsystems.com

Guillaume

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • www.umlchannel.com
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 07:05:08 pm »
Hi Simon,

I reported it as a bug.

Thanks,
Guillaume