Author Topic: Respository Usage Statistics  (Read 3147 times)

philchudley

• EA User
  • UML/EA Principal Consultant / Trainer
    • View Profile
Respository Usage Statistics
« on: January 10, 2017, 10:46:05 pm »
Hi All

I have a need to collect and report on repository usage statistics in a multi-user repository with security enabled. For example, when users have connected, disconnected and their total connect time.

I believe EA does not capture this data within a repository.

One method would be to create an add-in that responds to the File_Open and File_Code broadcast events, and creates a log file which can the processed at some future stage.

Is there any method that does not use an add-in at all?

Cheers

Phil
follow me on Twitter

@SparxEAGuru

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Respository Usage Statistics
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 11:11:06 pm »
Sure: database triggers

q.

philchudley

• EA User
  • UML/EA Principal Consultant / Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 11:22:24 pm »
Thanks qwerty will explore along those lines.

Phil
follow me on Twitter

@SparxEAGuru

Uffe

• EA Practitioner
  • Flutes: 1; Clarinets: 1; Saxes: 5 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 11:23:26 pm »
One method would be to create an add-in that responds to the File_Open and File_Code broadcast events, and creates a log file which can the processed at some future stage.

No. No! That's a BAD engineer! >:(

Uh, sorry. I mean to say: and logs these events in the operating system's logging facilities, for which there are already any number of processing tools which the customer may already have deployed.

Attaboy. MUCH better. :)

Is there any method that does not use an add-in at all?

The only thing I can see would be to hook into the DBMS instead of the client. What you can get out of that of course depends on the specific product you're using, but basic connection logs should be pretty easy to obtain.

/Uffe
My theories are always correct, just apply them to the right reality.

OpenIT Solutions

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 11:54:30 pm »
Hi Phil,

Hope your well; one thing to consider re db triggers is the user account used to connect to a db. Some of my clients have DBA policies that don't allow direct database connection by individual users. In these situations you create a 'service' account which connects to the db. These account details are then imbedded/encrypted in the sparx connection string. In this scenario the db trigger would not be able to tell you/record the actual user connecting. So your first option would be more generally applicable. Although again in a corporate env you may well find access/security issues associated with writing to event logs.

Also as an aside the cloud service can I think be configured to log which users are connecting / disconnecting - so simple solution might be to install it and insist all users connect via the cloud url ?

Regards,

Jon.

RudiCz

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 06:25:11 pm »
Hi
In our environment a File keystoreService.config exists. With LOG_LEVEL=INFO EA creates a File with all CheckIns, CheckOuts and available keys.
Rudi

Boron

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 05:53:42 pm »
The keystore service logfiles only show if licenses have been checke-out, -in etc.
They do not show which models have been opened, closed etc.
So this is not a solution for Phil  :(.