Author Topic: Automatically creating aggregation links  (Read 1026 times)

spoutrain

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Automatically creating aggregation links
« on: January 31, 2017, 07:33:03 am »
Hi !

When looking at slide 24 of this deck: http://www.slideshare.net/iverband/archimate-30-a-new-standard-for-architecture

I'm wondering how to achieve the same in EA ? I tried various approaches, such as embedding sub-application component into an application component, or by using "groups", however links are never created automatically, forcing me to create links manually (basically the right part of the slide 24).

Thanks for your help !

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Automatically creating aggregation links
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 09:29:59 am »
I don't think that this is possible (though honestly I am absolutely not sure about Archimate). However, a shared composition is one of the most useless constructs in UML at all. It's semantics is as heavy as an ion. If at all. Using a simple multiplicity says more than this weak construct.

(UML 2.5 about shared composition: Indicates that the Property has shared aggregation semantics. Precise semantics of shared aggregation varies by application area and modeler.)

q.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
Re: Automatically creating aggregation links
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 10:53:17 am »
Two points:
Shared Aggregation: The Standard is worded this way (probably) because the committee couldn't agree on the semantics. However, that doesn't mean that a more rigorous semantics (for shared aggregation) can't be created (using the concepts of meronymy is a good start).

Visual embedding and set definition:  In ArchiMate, when you visually embed one (or more) item(s) inside another; you are expressing a relationship between the embedded and the encompassing items.  However, the problem is that there are, in fact, a number of relationships that can be applied to the set of embedded items.  In effect, you are creating a set of objects related to the encompassing item.

We've pretty much worked out the theory and have even created "set" elements (analogous to the "grouping" elements) and additional relationship types to correctly represent the concepts and semantics involved.  However, we have yet to create the automation to assist in the creation and maintenance of such structures.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!