Author Topic: UML profiles: What is effect of Ex/Import of "Element Size"? [solved]  (Read 1818 times)

Shegit Brahm

• EA User
    • View Profile
I created UML profiles and usually set all exporting and importing options, including "Element Size".
In detail, I set stereotypes extending several metaclasses.

I use these to ways:
- right click on package and using "Advanced -> Save package as UML profile"
- click on package and then "Layout-> (Diagram) Manage -> Save as Profile" (works only after one diagram was opened in advance but exports entire package)

My question is:
- Where is the "Element size" stored, when I export the UML profile?
- Should I dig into "Shape Script", to ensure any sizing? (Because appearance like "grey merge node" works fine)
- and can this Shape Script be exported together with UML profile or at least MDG, because there is inclusion of "Other -> Scripts"?

In the beginning, I had only one diagram and "accidentially" did diagram export
-> that way "imported" ActivityInitial got the size of the stereotype that defines it in the base eap.
like stated here
http://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/13.0/modeling_tools/save_profile_options.html

But
http://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/13.0/modeling_tools/exportprofile_2.html
is silent about size.

Thanks in advance, Shegit
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:11:54 pm by Shegit Brahm »

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: UML profiles: What is effect of Ex/Import of "Element Size"?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 08:23:11 pm »
I think the best strategy would be to define the "defsize" in the shapescript.
Shapescripts linked to stereotypes in a profile automatically get included in the MDG.

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 08:23:53 pm »
Without having verified: the element shape information is stored when you export from a diagram. I'm pretty sure this includes the color. Not that sure about the element basic size, but would guess it get's saved too. When saving from the browser's context menu, none of the style information is saved in the profile (for sure).

q.

Shegit Brahm

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 09:11:38 pm »
@Geert: will dig into ShapeScript then, thanks.

@q.: yes, color does get included, element size is (by experience) saved only from diagram export using "manage->save as profile".

So I guess the checkbox exists only because it is the same dialogue which export way I ever use.
And it has the "flaw" for exported diagrams, that the default element size is minimum as big as needed for the stereotype element to declare it's metaclass extension.

thanks, Shegit

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Yes, EA expands elements to some minimum size for labels. I guess that even the shape script DefSize instruction will not help in such a case.

q.