Author Topic: How to use a model search for generating a virtual document report?  (Read 967 times)

Shegit Brahm

• EA User
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I try to generate a documentation on package_1 by using virtual documents, see project browser structure:
  • Package_1
    • UC diagram
  • (...)
  • Package_5
    • sub package_5.1
      • sub sub package_x.y.z
        • UC1
          • AD (Composite of UseCase)
            • Activity
              • Action1
              • (...)   
              • Final
              • Initial
        • UC2

Relations
  • UC diagram - UC: UC imported as “Link” in diagram
  • UC - AD: AD is composite child diagram of UC, stored in same package as UC
  • AD - AD elements: AD elements have the activity as parent and are stored in same package

There's need to get UC diagram, UCs, AD, activity, action, (…), initial and final included in that documentation.

The first approach to get that done was to use template and fragments. The resulting documentation contains UC diagram, UCs, but neither AD, activity nor anything being a child-child of the UseCase.

So I turned to virtual documents. In order to grab the missing AD and its diagram elements and get them reported, I tried to create a model search applied as tagged values of a model document.

But it turned out that my created model search doesn't work. I think, my approach of implementing a model search into a model document isn't correct.
Beside any general solution to my context I think I need to understand first:
How to use model search in model document?
Where do I have to write what? The modal search as a query is a custom sql of a fragment within the template that is chosen for the modal document?

I was unable to use the help in http://sparxsystems.com/forums/smf/index.php?topic=6152.0 to get a working virtual document that uses a modal search. The semi-automated approach published there by Geert is not “copyable” for me because I need to start on a package, not a diagram.

Thanks,
Shegit

PS: If you prefer to revitalize the old thread as it seems to be the topic: short notice and I will to so.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:36:57 pm by Shegit Brahm »

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: How to use a model search for generating a virtual document report?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 06:47:03 pm »
The model search I tend to use most is a very simple search by GUID that returns a single element.
You can use that search in your situation as well.

If fact if you look at my example in detail you should be able to quite easily adapt it to your situation.

Geert