Author Topic: Document a whole Solution  (Read 1828 times)

willeygi

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Document a whole Solution
« on: March 01, 2018, 09:33:50 am »
Hi all

I'm new to enterprise architect and want to document a whole solution in Enterprise Architect. My idea is to create a documentation in EA where i can start on the top with the solution and then browse through the abstraction layers. Here is an example:
First i have the business solution, one level deeper i want to see which components are part of this solution. for example one of the components in the whole solution is a SOAP web service.
in the next step i browse into this SOAP web service component and will see what SOAP methods it will provide.
Having the SOAP methods, i would like to browse inside this methods to see e.g. which methods inside the code will be called and how they access the underlaying database.
The last level would be the database layer.

If it would be flat it would look like a mindmap, but i want to have it on different layers with the correct models.

Could you please give me a little entry point? how should i start with my solution so that i can browse trough the different layers?

Thank you very much
Will
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:46:50 am by willeygi »

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
Re: Document a whole Solution
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 10:11:40 am »
Well the answer to all that is "yes".

I think the entry point is you deciding the notation you are going to use.  At your finger tips you have UML, Archimate, and SysML.  Once you've made that choice you can ask some more specific questions.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 04:02:47 pm »
Mosten often I see that different languages are being used for different parts of the model.

Typically that would be:
- Archimate for the architectural views
- BPMN for business process models
- UML for anything else

The drill down is best achieved using diagrams and the composite diagram feature (where you link a diagram to element to be opened when the element is double clicked)

As for the model organisation, I prefer abstraction layer before domain

Something like

- Business Model
  - Business Actors
  - Business Processes
    - Domain 1
    - Domain 2
  - Conceptual Data Model
    - Domain 1
    - Domain 2
- Functional Model
  - Actors
  - Use Cases
    - Domain 1
    - Domain 2
  - Logical Data Model
    - Domain 1
    - Domain 2

Geert

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 10:02:24 am »

The TOGAF content meta-model is by far the best part of TOGAF and is very useful for structuring "content".

Richard Freggi

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 11:39:25 am »
Agreed!  TOGAF content metamodel really good, Zachman framework is similar and probably a little easier to use.

Geert, if you use UML for everything you will have a fully integrated model, with consistent elements and artifacts from contextual down to physical and out of context... easier, more efficient and effective than mixing multiple notations.  IMHO UML works even better at contextual-conceptual-logical than at physical level (UML was originally developed to talk to people, and a failed attempt to shoehorn it into a programming language has damaged it quite a lot...)

Willeygi, Sparx has plug-ins for TOGAF and Zachman; you can find full TOGAF documentation online at the Open Group website and there's plenty of Zachman info and examples in the web. 

The TOGAF content meta-model is by far the best part of TOGAF and is very useful for structuring "content".

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 07:38:31 am »
Geert, if you use UML for everything you will have a fully integrated model, with consistent elements and artifacts from contextual down to physical and out of context... easier, more efficient and effective than mixing multiple notations.  IMHO UML works even better at contextual-conceptual-logical than at physical level (UML was originally developed to talk to people, and a failed attempt to shoehorn it into a programming language has damaged it quite a lot...)

I really should put my doing Archimate better with UML MDG together one of these days :-)

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 02:49:37 pm »
Just point out that the question was about solution architecture so UML is fine for that right down to physical model.

On the other hand TOGAF & ArchiMate etc is for Enterprise Architecture which is a totally different domain to solution architecture although they overlap. I have see people attempt to do solution architecture with ArchiMate and then get stuck because is not a language meant for that purpose.

So be clear on what you want to model. The trick here is to think of the various stakeholders involved and map view points to them then the elements on the view points. This helps focus on whats needed.
Happy to help
:)