Author Topic: ProjectTransfer stopped working - aaargh - Solved (I hope)  (Read 1655 times)

bknoth2

  • EA User
  • **
  • Posts: 89
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
ProjectTransfer stopped working - aaargh - Solved (I hope)
« on: March 23, 2018, 12:15:26 pm »
I have a script that backs up my PostGres-hosted EA repo. It has been completely reliable until it started reporting through a message box:
    "An error has occurred: Encountered an improper argument. Press OK to continue the table upgrade..." which I have to cancel out of.

The log file reports:
    (after messages about removing data)...  Copying project information for: t_xref   ERROR: *** t_xref - record no: 1

The problem may have started after I installed and then removed the Version 14 Beta. I did not open the Postgres-hosted model with the Beta, I installed the Beta, opened an unrelated .EAP file, and then uninstalled the Beta and reinstalled EA version 13.5 (build 1352). I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling EA and I even ran EA.exe /unregister and then /register.

I can do a manual backup just fine (create an empty project and transfer the DBMS model to the empty .EAP file using Configure/Transfer/Project Transer

Relevant lines of my script are:
   dim repository
   dim projectInterface
   set repository = GetObject(, "EA.App").Repository

   set projectInterface = repository.GetProjectInterface()

   projectInterface.ProjectTransfer eapString, TargetFilePath, LogFilePath

Any ideas?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 02:18:59 am by bknoth2 »

Nizam

  • Prolab Moderator
  • EA User
  • *
  • Posts: 308
  • Karma: +12/-2
  • Model Sharing - Simplified
    • View Profile
    • Professional Model Collaboration
Re: ProjectTransfer stopped working - aaargh
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 01:40:41 pm »
Have you tried running a Project Integrity Check?

Geert Bellekens

  • EA Guru
  • *****
  • Posts: 9497
  • Karma: +266/-27
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: ProjectTransfer stopped working - aaargh
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 03:38:55 pm »
If project integrity check doesn't help, I would compare the t_xref records with the last backup you made, and closely examine the new records (that didn't exist in the backup).

There might be an unexpected character in there somewhere that is not properly escaped when doing the transfer.

Geert

bknoth2

  • EA User
  • **
  • Posts: 89
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: ProjectTransfer stopped working - aaargh
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 02:02:15 am »
Have you tried running a Project Integrity Check?
Yes, I did. I cleaned the repository and it didn't make a difference.

Thanks for the suggestion.

qwerty

  • EA Guru
  • *****
  • Posts: 10600
  • Karma: +232/-194
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: ProjectTransfer stopped working - aaargh
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 02:05:23 am »
No good idea to run production with a beta. Use a backup and/or contact Sparx to see if they can help.

q.

bknoth2

  • EA User
  • **
  • Posts: 89
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: ProjectTransfer stopped working - aaargh
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 02:20:05 am »
No good idea to run production with a beta. Use a backup and/or contact Sparx to see if they can help.

q.
I only put the Beta on the same machine. I didn't open the production model with it. That turns out not be the cause, though. See my next comment.

bknoth2

  • EA User
  • **
  • Posts: 89
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: ProjectTransfer stopped working - aaargh - Solved (I hope)
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 02:23:03 am »
It appears that enabling auditing causes the failure. I had enabled auditing around the same time the problem started (which I then forgot about).

If I disable auditing, the problem goes away. When I enable it, the problem comes back. I don't have to clear the logs, just enable and disable auditing. I'm suspecting a bug.

qwerty

  • EA Guru
  • *****
  • Posts: 10600
  • Karma: +232/-194
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: ProjectTransfer stopped working - aaargh - Solved (I hope)
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 04:48:05 am »
See my final conclusion above ;-)

q.