Author Topic: Prevent Diagram Modifications following structural additions  (Read 2165 times)

Polymorph

• EA User
    • View Profile
Prevent Diagram Modifications following structural additions
« on: March 27, 2018, 01:48:22 am »
Hi everyone

I want to prevent any structural features that I add to a block/class from being automatically added to any existing diagrams by default...

For example, on let's say I have a BDD called "My System Diagram"and onto this I place two blocks: "My System" which connects (via reference association) to "Another System". Neither of these blocks own any structural features such as ports or part properties at the time the diagram was created.

Now, assume I create a new diagram (perhaps in a later development phase) and I add a new block, called "My Subsystem" and then create a compositional relationship from this new block back to the "My System" block. This causes EA to create a Part Property on "My Block" (this is good!). I then do some more work and I add a port to both "My System" and "Another System".

Now, I return to the BDD diagram that I created earlier and I see that EA has added these structural features to the blocks inside their respective compartments. This causes the elements on the diagram to resize and messes up the look of the diagram (this is bad!).

Does anyone know how to stop EA from doing this by default?

The only way I have found is to create a diagram in a "Template" package, on which EA bases all future diagrams. I can use this template to turn off all of the various structural display elements - but the problem is that I have hundreds of diagrams that were created before the template diagram was created. This means that my old diagrams are not affected by the template!

Please say I don't have do go back and manually change them all!!

Note: "locking" the diagram does not help - that only stops people from dragging elements around and/or manually resizing them

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Prevent Diagram Modifications following structural additions
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 04:15:45 pm »
I'm pretty sure you can change that property for all diagrams using a script and/or SQL update statement.

First you'll have to figure out where exactly EA stores the setting for a diagram.
I would look first at the StyleEx field t_diagram.

Geert

Helmut Ortmann

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Prevent Diagram Modifications following structural additions
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 04:46:15 pm »
Hi,

My knowledge about diagram styles in EA you find at: https://github.com/Helmut-Ortmann/EnterpriseArchitect_hoTools/wiki/DiagramStyles.

Thomas Kilian also documented a lot of insides in his book Inside Enterprise Architect. E.g Chapter 9.11 Diagram StyleEx Property.

Best regards,

Helmut

Coaching, Training, Workshop (Addins: hoTools, Search&Replace, LineStyle)