Author Topic: Information Flow connectors not clickable in HTML output  (Read 1525 times)

lfgcasey

• EA User
    • View Profile
Information Flow connectors not clickable in HTML output
« on: April 13, 2018, 04:43:00 am »

I'm using Information Flow connectors to specify interactions between various databases and other components within our organization, adding the appropriate Information Items to each flow. The Information Items contain some fairly detailed information like DB Schemas for SQL interactions, XML or JSON Schemas for web service interactions, links to more detailed diagrams, etc. Within the model, it's relatively easy to get from the connector to the Information Items (right click connector->find items conveyed).

However, in the HTML export, those very same connectors are not clickable via right or left click so you can't drill deeper into the model from the web page representing the model diagram. Is there a way to enable the connectors to be clickable in the HTML export?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Information Flow connectors not clickable in HTML output
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 06:06:31 am »
I guess not. Every element has a rectangular shape which can be mapped to a clickable area. Edges can't easily be represented this way. You'd need some tricky Java stuff to detect a connector click.

q.

lfgcasey

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 08:07:24 am »
Even something as simple as a small rectangular area at the midpoint, tail, or tip of the connector would be good enough. Would that be something we could add with a modified HTML template?

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 09:52:06 am »
Even something as simple as a small rectangular area at the midpoint, tail, or tip of the connector would be good enough. Would that be something we could add with a modified HTML template?
Good idea!

Submit a feature request, using the links below.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 03:38:16 pm »
I guess that even with the limitation to edge labels this would be an improvement.

q.

michielper

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 06:12:34 pm »

I'm using Information Flow connectors to specify interactions between various databases and other components within our organization, adding the appropriate Information Items to each flow. The Information Items contain some fairly detailed information like DB Schemas for SQL interactions, XML or JSON Schemas for web service interactions, links to more detailed diagrams, etc. Within the model, it's relatively easy to get from the connector to the Information Items (right click connector->find items conveyed).

However, in the HTML export, those very same connectors are not clickable via right or left click so you can't drill deeper into the model from the web page representing the model diagram. Is there a way to enable the connectors to be clickable in the HTML export?

I have another suggestion, namely to model the connectors as explicit Interface elements. Since they carry a lot of information, modelling them as "first class citizens" seems justified. All attributes can then be attached to the Interface elements. It is the approach I take myself (I am mainly using Archimate but this can be done in UML also).
This has other advantages too. It makes it easier to choose whether to show the relationship between particular components; connectors do not magically pop up in other diagrams if those diagrams do not contain the Interface elements. Versioning of interfaces also becomes easier.
And of course, they become clickable in HTML reports.... :).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:14:39 pm by michielper »

michielper

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 06:23:54 pm »
I guess not. Every element has a rectangular shape which can be mapped to a clickable area. Edges can't easily be represented this way. You'd need some tricky Java stuff to detect a connector click.

q.

Sparx has made the (I suppose conscious) decision not to treat connectors as "first class citzens" but as "attributes" of other elements. There are other modelling tools that have made another choice (e.g. the open source Archimate modeling tool Archi). This problem may be related to this choice. A logical solution therefore, in the spirit of Sparx EA, would be to use an Interface element. See my other response in this thread.

lfgcasey

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 11:13:56 pm »

q.

Sparx has made the (I suppose conscious) decision not to treat connectors as "first class citzens" but as "attributes" of other elements. There are other modelling tools that have made another choice (e.g. the open source Archimate modeling tool Archi). This problem may be related to this choice. A logical solution therefore, in the spirit of Sparx EA, would be to use an Interface element. See my other response in this thread.

That is a terrific suggestion. I'll give that a try and post my results for posterity. Thanks!

lfgcasey

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 12:55:44 am »
Good progress using the following approach:

Using "Expose Interface" Objects on Components & Information Flow stereotype (no Information Item) between required and provided interfaces. The provided and required interface elements are child elements of the Component and are of type Interface1, Interface2, etc.

Benefits are that interfaces are navigatable in both Model and HTML. Also connectors don't magically appear in other diagrams.

In Model: Right click required or provided Interface -> find -> find classifier in project browser to navigate to Interface1 and Interface2 element types in browser. Links can be found by right click provided or required interface -> Other Properties -> Links.

In HTML:
Click Interface -> Click related elements in Other Links tab to get from provided->required
Click Interface -> click interface type at top of screen to navigate to the interface type (interface 1 & 2).

lfgcasey

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 12:56:17 am »
Good idea!

Submit a feature request, using the links below.

Paolo
Feature request submitted.