Author Topic: EA using Wine and ODBC  (Read 6578 times)

Hyunho

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
EA using Wine and ODBC
« on: April 19, 2018, 10:47:27 pm »
Hello all,
I planned to move everything on Ubuntu 16.04.
But it's not easy to bring EA and EA cloud services up on it.

I followed http://www.sparxsystems.com/support/faq/enterprise-architect-WINE.html .

ODBC ito mysql or firebird is fine, but it doesn't work with EA and EA cloud services.

I created a User DSN from ODBC admin,
then I tried to connect it from EA.
From Connectino tab on Data Link Properties dialog, I could see the data soure I created, but test connection resulted 0x80004005 error at all.

I googled but couldn't find a workaround about this.
Is any one have an idea on this situation?

Thank you in advance.

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: EA using Wine and ODBC
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 08:43:41 am »
The issue I see here all the time is that updating wine breaks the ODBC in strange ways.

If your problem is related to the same thing, you can fix it by running the following command:

winetricks --force mdac28
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 11:11:13 am by RoyC »
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Hyunho

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 01:03:45 pm »
I've tried that and not work.

Here what I did:

export WINEARCH=win32
wine wineboot
winetricks msxml3
winetricks msxml4
winecfg > library > add 'ole32 (native, builtin)'
winetricks mdac28
winetricks jet40

but got error with jet40
Code: [Select]
003a:fixme:setupapi:extract_cabinet_file awful hack: extracting cabinet "C:\\users\\eacloud\\Temp\\IXP001.TMP\\Jetsetup.CAB"
003a:err:ole:TLB_ReadTypeLib Loading of typelib L"C:\\Program files\\Common files\\Microsoft shared\\dao\\dao2535.tlb" failed with error 2
------------------------------------------------------
jet40 install completed, but installed file /home/eacloud/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/dao/dao360.dll not found

once again with --force option
Code: [Select]
Note: command 'cabextract -q -d /home/eacloud/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32 /home/eacloud/.cache/winetricks/wsh57/scripten.exe' returned status 1.  Aborting.
wine msiexec /i eatrial.msi
wine msiexec /i mysql-connector-odbc-5.3.10-win32.msi

wine control > configured a mysql-odbc data source.

opened EA and tried to open the data source.

Richard Freggi

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 12:50:48 pm »
I think EA should be cross-platform, what with Win10 being a kludgy mess and Microsoft reorganization moving away from OS-centric to service centric. 

I am concerned that EA is evolving into a more and more complex tool that offers features I don't need instead of a bug-free, highly reliable, highly usable, portable implementation of UML standard.  I can't justify spending any money on EA14 license.   

Sparx folks, if you are listening, how about focusing on bug elimination, x-platform, usability and user interface enhancements instead of adding more and more features?  Plenty of suggestions about these in the user forum!  Thanks!

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 03:25:12 am »
+100

q.

siaccarino

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 12:16:35 am »
We observed serious troubles with 16.04 LTS (getting lots of errors 80040E07).
18.04 LTS and 18.10 + Wine 4.2 are working without any issues.

ChrisMW

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 05:16:40 am »
I run KDE Neon, which is essentially the lastest KDE on top of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Using the WineHQ packages I get all kinds of weird errors, but no ODBC. I tried the wine packages from Buster, that yields a message that the database has no tables (which is not the case). But the native 18.04 packages, the development version, work well. Screen updates have suffered in 15.1, a few versions ago, Wine problems had been addressed and it worked very well. But now, after dialogues, there's some ghosting. Nothing so far to prevent it from being used, but noticeable nonetheless. Perhaps I should try 4.2, 5 (stable and development) from WineHQ didn't do anything for me. Right now, I'm on 3.6.

timoc

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 05:35:04 pm »
If you are willing to invest in EA, then just buy crossover from codeweaver. It's a managed wine system, from guys who are working with Steam for Linux/windows cross platform functionality. It has 'out of the box' recipies for installing EA. It even has paid for support, and is well worth the investment for wine/windows regardless of EA. Try the free demo first.

With it, I have been able to use EA on Kubuntu, centos, fedora etc.

ChrisMW

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 06:16:13 pm »
I tried CodeWeaver and did not see much improvement over Q4Wine and Wine, other than the problem being related to the Wine version. I got in touch with Sparx support and was recommended a DLL override which solved the problem. Have not renewed CodeWaver, could not justify the price for what it offered.

The fix was to override msado15.dll, The Wine 5 I am running now seems back to normal, so it might have been just glitch. I've kept the override for now. The documentation from Sparx was updated to include this suggestion.

timoc

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2021, 11:55:24 pm »
I tried CodeWeaver and did not see much improvement over Q4Wine and Wine, other than the problem being related to the Wine version. I got in touch with Sparx support and was recommended a DLL override which solved the problem. Have not renewed CodeWaver, could not justify the price for what it offered.
i have been a crossover user for more than 10 years, and for EA since EA 12. I recommend Crossover over Wine for linux users, because in my experience, Crossover allows you to skip most of the undocumented 'pulling hair out in frustration while fixing broken EA stuff after upgrade' windows/wine maintenance steps.

Bottles, Bottle Archives and Packages are my killer features in Crossover. With an application in a bottle, i can create a snapshot/copy and perform upgrades, install plugins, etc. without breaking the working setup. With bottle archives, i can maintain a single personal EA setup, and deploy it into Crossover running on my other Linux desktops (Centos and Fedora). I have working backups of bottles for all of my older EA and Office installs. Packages can create a standalone deb/rpm package from a bottle, which is handy for certain situations.

Crossover is also invaluable for keeping a working EA setup during system maintenance. My EA bottle has, over the years, maintained a my working EA setup across about, 2 distro changes, 12 distro upgrades, 4 full re-installs and three hardware changes. My current setup is EA 15.2, a 'Free' PCS/RAS server (with Postgres 13 backend), in a Crossover 21 bottle on Kubuntu 20 Linux. The local postgres server is also my local akonadi server. I installed the PCS server to the bottle on my old desktop. When i migrated this EA setup to my new desktop, all i needed to do was install the bottle archive and migrate+vacuum the Postgres databases, and everything just worked.

Don't get me wrong, crossover has its own issues, but i have been mostly happy with it. This is especially true when you consider the time it takes to setup Wine, or reinstall a complicated application stack like EA and PCS. If you know of an equivalent technology then i would be interested.

The fix was to override msado15.dll, The Wine 5 I am running now seems back to normal, so it might have been just glitch. I've kept the override for now. The documentation from Sparx was updated to include this suggestion.

Setting up the ODBC layer in wine and windows has been a real pain. The documentation did not help as much as i would like. I am looking forward to the claimed EA 16 native driver support :)

+1000 with regards to the "Cross platform EA"!.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 11:19:14 am by timoc »

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 05:57:55 am »
Well, be prepared for some pain. Sparx attitude has gotten more into "let the users test" rather than doing proper tests on their own. Up to version 6 I was eager to get the next beta as ASAP. But that has gone more and more. I'm now a late adopter and my pain is now just "Uh, were is my menu?" besides the usual quirks.

Good luck though. And save me of testing ;o)

q.