Author Topic: V14 - Archimate3: Cannot link BusinessEvent with BusinessProcess with Triger rel  (Read 2229 times)

Piotr_Markiewicz

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Hi
Just have installed new v14 of EA.
Yesterday I worked on Archimate3 Business Layer Diagram using V13.5 where I used Triggering relationship to connect BusinessEvent element with BusinessProcess element. Today with V14 I have the following error message:
"Invalid source type for this connect type"
I tried to connect these two element by selecting triggering relationships icon from Dynamic Relationships toolbox, then I selected BusinessEvent element and tried to use on arrow displayed on top right site of this element. Always I have the same error message.
I checked other types of relationships and they work, i.e. flow.

Any suggestion? This could be bug
Piotr

Additional info
I created new diagram under V14 from the scratch with new event and process - still got this error

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 08:09:58 pm by Piotr_Markiewicz »

GTuckwell

• Sparx Services UK
  • EA Novice
    • View Profile
    • Sparx Services UK (Hippo Software)
I just checked this and can confirm this doesn't work. Open an existing ArchiMate Bus Diagram and all is fine, but create a new bus diagram in EA 14 and you can't connect the Event to the Process with Triggering. Just get the error reported above. Can't find an obvious workaround either!
G Tuckwell, Hippo Software
Sparx Services UK.
UML, BPMN, SysML, ArchiMate Consultant/Trainers
http://www.hippo-software.co.uk

Piotr_Markiewicz

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
I have this issue in both situation:
1) diagram and elements created in V13.5 but trigger added in V14
2) diagram and elements created in V14 and trigger added in V14

Piotr_Markiewicz

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
I just found workaround

1) Connect event and process using flow relationship
2) select flow relationship and go to element properties
3) change stereotype from ArchiMate_Flow to ArchiMate_Triggering
4) done  :)

GTuckwell

• Sparx Services UK
  • EA Novice
    • View Profile
    • Sparx Services UK (Hippo Software)
Or just create the triggering relationship on the bus process to itself, then drag to move the start of the line to the event!
G Tuckwell, Hippo Software
Sparx Services UK.
UML, BPMN, SysML, ArchiMate Consultant/Trainers
http://www.hippo-software.co.uk

Nizam

• Prolab Moderator
  • EA User
  • Model Sharing - Simplified
    • View Profile
    • Professional Model Collaboration
Hi
Just have installed new v14 of EA.
Yesterday I worked on Archimate3 Business Layer Diagram using V13.5 where I used Triggering relationship to connect BusinessEvent element with BusinessProcess element. Today with V14 I have the following error message:
"Invalid source type for this connect type"
I tried to connect these two element by selecting triggering relationships icon from Dynamic Relationships toolbox, then I selected BusinessEvent element and tried to use on arrow displayed on top right site of this element. Always I have the same error message.
I checked other types of relationships and they work, i.e. flow.

Any suggestion? This could be bug
Piotr

Additional info
I created new diagram under V14 from the scratch with new event and process - still got this error

I tried this in 14.0.1418 and this seems to work, has it been fixed? or am I missing something

Piotr_Markiewicz

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
My version is 14.0.1419 and have problem with even and junction when link with triggering rel to any other element

Nizam

• Prolab Moderator
  • EA User
  • Model Sharing - Simplified
    • View Profile
    • Professional Model Collaboration
Is this what you are trying to do? (please refer to image below)

https://pasteboard.co/HktOhft.png

(I tried the quick linker & the toolbox item and it was fine)

Just trying to confirm so that we can see if this is to do with any setting.

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
My version is 14.0.1419 and have problem with even and junction when link with triggering rel to any other element

This is the first time you have mentioned "junction" so I assume it's a new issue. Junctions are a bit of a special case in ArchiMate because they aren't part of the metamodel but are a drawing artefact and need to be treated differently by the quicklinker; long story short, we are aware of the issue and are working on it. For now, please switch off the option at "Ribbon|Start|View|Preferences|Links|Strict Connector Syntax" to create connectors to and from junctions.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

Piotr_Markiewicz

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
From end user point of view this is the same issue while I cannot use triggering rel with some elements. At first was event, then junction. Maybe from system code this is caused by two different reason.
Currently I heavily use Archimate Business Layer, in few days I am going to add Application Layer. Maybe I will find some more...
Any new fundings I will report here.

Piotr_Markiewicz

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Is this what you are trying to do? (please refer to image below)

https://pasteboard.co/HktOhft.png

(I tried the quick linker & the toolbox item and it was fine)

Just trying to confirm so that we can see if this is to do with any setting.

This is one way I can recreate this situation. I also tried select process and then link to even as triggered by.

Piotr_Markiewicz

• EA Novice
    • View Profile

For now, please switch off the option at "Ribbon|Start|View|Preferences|Links|Strict Connector Syntax" to create connectors to and from junctions.

I changed preferenced as You wrote and this works for junctions and for event as well.

Stephan Amsbary

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
I migrated from v13.5 to 15.0 betat two days ago, several "legal" actions did not work. I reported it to SPARX, this includes trigger and access (active behavior to structural element.  Today I downloaded v14.1.1429 and it has the same problem as reported by the others in this thread. I attempted to change it via Properties and connector type but was not given the appropriate options.I am louth to fall back to v13.5 (I'm not sure where I put that install file.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
You can download the previous version installers from the same page where you downloaded the other installers from.
It is definitely allowed if that is what you are asking.

Geert

Stephan Amsbary

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Thank you Geert... Out of frustration, I "repaired" my v14 copy, didn;t work. And them removed and re-installed it.. now it works. Not sure why v15 isn't working properly though.

All the best,
Stephan Amsbary
Sr Technical Leader, Enterprise Architecture and Integration
Electric Power Research INstitute (EPRI)