Author Topic: Assigning Names to Legends  (Read 11798 times)

Thelonius

• EA User
  • I think. Therefore I get paid.
    • View Profile
Assigning Names to Legends
« on: June 03, 2021, 09:28:45 am »
It would be nice to be able to define Properties for Sparx Legends so we could give each Legend a meaningful name, which could be displayed in the Project Browser.

Not being able to assign names to Legends means the only thing visible in the Project Browser is a series of graphical icons as per image below.

You can select a Legend in the Project Browser and find that Legend in the current diagram - or all diagrams - but you cannot select a Legend in a diagram and find that Legend in the Project Browser. Should work both ways.

Takeshi K

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Assigning Names to Legends
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 10:25:32 am »
Hello Thelonius、

You can assign legend's name by using the Properties dockable window. (Ctrl+2 to open the window on the latest version)
I agree that legends' name should be synchronized with legends' title. :)

And you can find a legend in the Browser from it in a diagram. Select a legend in a diagram and press Alt+G.

HTH,
--
t-kouno

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 11:04:14 am »
Hello Thelonius、

You can assign a legend's name by using the Properties dockable window. (Ctrl+2 to open the window on the latest version)
I agree that legends' name should be synchronized with legends' title. :)

And you can find a legend in the Browser from it in a diagram. Select a legend in a diagram and press Alt+G.

HTH,
Takeshi-san is, of course, correct. 

We name our Legends and place them in a special part of the repository to allow them to be re-used.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Thelonius

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 11:55:57 am »
Hmm. Thanks for your help on this.

I must be doing something wrong. I cannot assign a name in the Properties panel to a Sparx Legend in the Project Browser. I'm not talking about giving a name to the Sparx Legend on the diagram. We're not talking at cross purposes, are we? (That name does not show up in the Project Browser).

I must be misunderstanding your meaning. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

Takeshi K

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 12:01:25 pm »
Hello Thelonius,

Yes, you specified the Name, but the Name is not Name of common elements :'(
The 'Name' is not stored as Name of common elements, but stored in any other place.

The Browser show the Name of common elements, so Legends in the Browser do not have name.

Please try as I posted.
--
t-kouno

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 05:58:10 pm »
Hello Thelonius,

Yes, you specified the Name, but the Name is not the Name of common elements :'(
The 'Name' is not stored as the Name of common elements but stored in any other place.

The Browser shows the Name of common elements, so Legends in the Browser do not have a name.

Please try as I posted.
An alternative is to edit the name directly in the browser using [F2].  You should be able to select the Legend on a diagram, use [Alt+G] to select it in the browser then change the name.

HTH,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Thelonius

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 10:23:56 am »
Thanks, Paolo - That works for me. fn key + f2 allows me to edit the name of the Legend in the Project Browser! I would never have thought to do that. Haven't seen any mention of that in the Sparx documentation. One small step for a geek like me.