Author Topic: Sparx EA V14 B 1419 Installation issue  (Read 1064 times)

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile
Sparx EA V14 B 1419 Installation issue
« on: May 11, 2018, 12:58:36 pm »
Having a problem installing Sparx EA V14 Build 1419 It goes through install script then stops with error about creating a temporary file to complete installation.

Just upgraded to the latest windows recently so not sure if its that or something else. Windows 10 Version 1803 Build 17134.48
Anyone else have similar problem?

Tried disabling virus protection as I also saw a notification saying "Unauthorised changes blocked" Controlled access folder blocked: C:Windows\...\svchost.exe from making changes to memory. However that didn't prevent the problem reoccurring when trying to install again.

Happy to help
:)

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
Re: Sparx EA V14 B 1419 Installation issue
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 01:48:22 pm »
Tried disabling virus protection as I also saw a notification saying "Unauthorised changes blocked" Controlled access folder blocked: C:Windows\...\svchost.exe from making changes to memory. However that didn't prevent the problem reoccurring when trying to install again.

Did your A/V log say why it was blocked?

Sunshine

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 03:11:32 pm »
Managed to spend some time investigating this issue this afternoon.

Solution is to turn off controlled folder access in windows 10. I guess when I updated this was enable and prevents software being installed. Although it still let me install stuff from the app store.

For instructions to switch off controlled folder access go to this link
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046851/windows-10-controlled-folder-access-windows-defender-security-center
Happy to help

sparks

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 11:34:34 am »
We suspect that the Windows Defender controlled access is preventing the installer from adding the shortcut to the desktop. Unfortunately, our test environment using the same Windows build is allowing the install to complete despite getting the notification about svchost changes being blocked.

What edition of Windows 10 are you using?
What folders are protected by the Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access setting?
Could you run the install with full logging and send the log in? An alternative would be running sysinternals procmon and sending in the log it records.

Sunshine

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 08:32:47 pm »
Yes its definitely windows defender's ransomware protection as when I disable the controlled folder access it worked and installed properly.

The Edition of Windows was Home - I try all the beta's and new releases on my home machine first.

Folders that are protected are windows system folders and the following C:\ Users\User\Documents, C:\ Users\User\Pictures, C:\ Users\User\Videos, C:\ Users\User\Music, C:\ Users\User\Desktop and C:\ Users\User\Favourites

Yes had an email from Sparx support earlier today so followed their instructions and ran the log during install and sent it through.
Happy to help

Sunshine

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 08:54:14 pm »
Often people are quick to complain and slow to praise.

So I have just got to say Sparx Systems has always been great at providing support. They usually get back to me within 24 hours and often provide workarounds or acknowledge a bug and fix it in a short period of time.

Sparx are much better than some other vendors I could mention who have similar types of tools. To put that in perspective I've used a lot of modelling tools since 1987 and started using Sparx EA back in 2005. Since 2005 from time to time I've had to use other tools due to various circumstances and learnt of their shortcomings which bring me back to using EA again.

In addition the community here on the forum has been superb over those years and I've not found another more engaged group of users.

Keep up the good work Sparx and those who contribute on the forum - its so refreshing to deal with such good bunch of people.
Happy to help

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 09:34:40 am »
So I have just got to say Sparx Systems has always been great at providing support. They usually get back to me within 24 hours and often provide workarounds or acknowledge a bug and fix it in a short period of time.

And they even take note of bugs in undocumented features :-)