Author Topic: EA14: Dropdown list scroll bars not working  (Read 1356 times)

matthew.james

• EA User
  • Am I supposed to say something here ... ?
    • View Profile
EA14: Dropdown list scroll bars not working
« on: May 25, 2018, 03:41:20 pm »
EA Build 14.0.1420
Win 10 10.0.16299

Several dropdown lists don't function correctly with the mouse.
Behaviour:
- Click on the arrow to drop down the list
- Scroll bar ignores mouse clicks and drags (ie drag on bar, click on end arrows, click on bar all ignored, bar doesn't move)
- Scroll bar does recognise mouse hover (ie bar changes colour as mouse hovers over)
- List does recognise mouse (ie list elements highlighted as mouse hovers over, list element selected on mouse click)
- Keyboard (arrows, enter) work correctly to scroll and select from the list

Speciifc repeatable examples: Element Change Type, Legend Element Applies To

(I can't imagine no-one else has noticed this, so sorry if this has already been posted - I did look but couldn't find it)

PaulV

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: EA14: Dropdown list scroll bars not working
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 06:05:37 pm »
EA Build 14.0.1420
Win 10 10.0.16299

Several dropdown lists don't function correctly with the mouse.
Behaviour:
- Scroll bar ignores mouse clicks and drags (ie drag on bar, click on end arrows, click on bar all ignored, bar doesn't move)

Speciifc repeatable examples: Element Change Type, ...

EA Build 14.0.1420
Windows 7 64

Can't reproduce the bug.

matthew.james

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 10:33:29 am »
FYI bug confirmed by Sparx and being investigated.

Behaviour is influenced by the choice of Visual Style - with some visual styles the controls work find but wth others they exhibit the behaviour as described.  For anyone that is interested here are the styles:
- ‘broken’ behaviour in “Visual Studio 2013”, “Visual Studio 2012”, “Carbon”, “Microsoft Office 2016”, “Microsoft Office 2013”, “Microsoft Office 2010”, “Microsoft Office 2007”
- Scrollbar works in “Visual Studio 2010”, “Visual Studio 2008”, “Visual Studio 2005”, “Microsoft Office 2003”, “Microsoft Office XP”, “Microsoft Office 2000”

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 11:33:08 am »
For anyone else reading this, the problem depends on an obscure Windows setting for animating drop lists when opening. The Visual Style is relevant because any visual style with themed scrollbars is impacted.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

matthew.james

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 03:46:50 pm »
... the problem depends on an obscure Windows setting for animating drop lists when opening.

Yes, sorry, the relevant setting is one of the Windows UI animation settings that can be turned off to improve performance - although why this setting would affect the actual functionality of one (and only one) application I find interesting ...

Instructions below on how to turn this off - unfortunately I am on a locked down corporate build and don't have the access to do so.
"Try going to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > System > Advanced system settings. This will open the System Properties dialog. Go to the Advanced Tab and under the Performance section click Settings... Ensure you have "Slide open combo boxes" checked. EA may need to be restarted for this to take effect"