Author Topic: Diagram Running Slow  (Read 5131 times)

EmyrI

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Diagram Running Slow
« on: August 01, 2018, 03:24:31 am »
Hi All

Has anyone experience an issue where a diagram just runs very slowly, take ages to open, navigating takes a few mins as well as adding/moving objects around?
i have tried rebuilding the diagram but the issue is exactly the same once rebuilt. All integrity checks say there is not issues.

all suggestions welcomed

thanks all

Sunshine

• EA Practitioner
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile
Re: Diagram Running Slow
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 06:35:14 am »
Yes I have experienced the same thing.
Tell us more about your set up.
What is your repository implemented in and where is it hosted?
Happy to help
:)

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 08:42:08 am »
Also, what kinds of element on the diagram, and how many? What other windows do you have docked (e.g. Traceability window)?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 08:43:45 am by KP »
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 10:32:52 am »
The more elements the slower it gets. The more shape script you just square the waiting time.

q.

EmyrI

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 07:48:53 pm »
I am currently using an EAP file, i am looking to move to an SQL server in the coming weeks as we need to connect and read other systems from it.
There are currently 7 windows docked as such, they are unpinned docked if that makes sense. Traceability is open, as is project browser, resources, layout tools, toolbox, etc.
Number of items i have in the diagram is approx 260, with a lot of relationships. The whole model has over 300k relationships to give you an idea of complexity. The relationships in the diagram are turned off in diagram properties.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 08:00:39 pm »
Number of items i have in the diagram is approx 260, with a lot of relationships.
:o :o

That is way too much to be on a single diagram, unless you are designing wallpaper ;D.

Split the diagram up into smaller usable chunks.

Geert

marku

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 05:37:41 pm »
A have Win 7 (on 32-bit & 4 RAM) and WIN 10 (64 8Giga RAM)
This same Diagram work most fast on WIN 10.
(When you have "Number of items i have in the diagram is approx 260, with a lot of relationships." - it will work slowly)
Do you have turned on Auditung? - it can most slowly work

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 06:03:31 pm »
Auditing only slows down changes, not diagram loading.

q.

EmyrI

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 06:28:15 pm »
Number of items i have in the diagram is approx 260, with a lot of relationships.

That is way too much to be on a single diagram, unless you are designing wallpaper ;D.

Geert

Sadly that is the spilt up diagram, i cannot get it down any smaller without losing some much needed context

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 07:04:44 pm »

Geert

Sadly that is the spilt up diagram, i cannot get it down any smaller without losing some much needed context

I'm afraid you are using the wrong tool (diagram) for your purpose.
Maybe you are better off with a more tabular representation such as the list view, or the search window?

Geert

EmyrI

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 07:50:14 pm »
thanks geert appreciated

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 08:01:15 pm »
Hi EmyrI,
as posted before, your root cause is the amount of elements on your diagram.

Without knowing your stuff, I cannot say, that you are wrong with you statement that you cannot split it down.

I have modelled quiet complex thing for years and if my context would be the whole thing, my diagrams would not be wall paper size but several square kilometre size.
Up to now, I was always able to split the “whole thing context” in several sub-context/aspects/perspectives/views/….

In fact modelling is essentially a lot about splitting a big thing in smaller part.

By doing so, you do not see the whole thing on one diagram in all details any more, but you can never look at a complex whole thing once and see the details.
Slitting things down might need some experience and experiments, but you should try to do so.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

Sunshine

• EA Practitioner
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 07:33:11 am »
I am currently using an EAP file, i am looking to move to an SQL server in the coming weeks as we need to connect and read other systems from it.
There are currently 7 windows docked as such, they are unpinned docked if that makes sense. Traceability is open, as is project browser, resources, layout tools, toolbox, etc.
Number of items i have in the diagram is approx 260, with a lot of relationships. The whole model has over 300k relationships to give you an idea of complexity. The relationships in the diagram are turned off in diagram properties.
Wow 260 items on one diagram - no wonder. However that being said I do have an application landscape diagram with around 200 items but don't have any issues loading it. Relationships are disabled and I use SQL Server as the repository.

Moving to SQL Server may improve the performance if you have good network bandwidth and a reasonably server.
In the short term you could consider putting the eap file on an SSD rather than HDD that would significantly improve performance.
Other things might improve performance is to use Jet 4 rather than 3.5 so if you have V14 transfer it to an eapx file.

There's my 2 cents worth of ideas for now. Hope it helps.
Happy to help
:)

slurton

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 08:32:43 am »
ok, then why is my diagram which has 55 packaging components on it so slow then? My repository is in SQL Server. Also I have another diagram with about 200 elements on it but I expect it to be slow but not this one. I've tried everything.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 05:52:22 pm »
In the diagram properties under Diagram turn off Show Shape Scripts. Does that make a difference in the speed?

q.