Author Topic: Export matrix definitions with MDG Technology  (Read 512 times)

peterc

• EA User
    • View Profile
Export matrix definitions with MDG Technology
« on: July 31, 2018, 12:17:54 am »
I have created half a dozen matrix profiles. They only get exported with an XMI export for use in a model if I include a hyperlink on a diagram. Is there a way to enforce export of defined matrix profiles without having to add them as a hyperlink?

I was thinking that there should be a means to export with an MDG Technology, although since they need to reference specific packages I can see why they might only get associated with an XML file for use as a wizard.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Export matrix definitions with MDG Technology
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 12:39:36 am »
See Configure | Model | Transfer | Export Reference Data

Geert

peterc

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 05:49:38 pm »
So that gives me a blank file if I only select Matrix Profiles. I've tried both EA 14 and 13.5.

If I select everything and import into a blank file then I can import RTF document templates, so my export is fundamentally working. On the import from the everything export, there is nothing to do with matrix as an option.

Interestingly the export window states "Diagram Matrix Profiles". I am assuming these are the same as a Relationship Matrix (from Design - Impact - Matrix). It also fits that they are alongside Gap Matrix Profiles. I have six Relationship Matrices defined so there are some to export.

Grateful for any ideas.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 02:42:06 pm »
So that gives me a blank file if I only select Matrix Profiles. I've tried both EA 14 and 13.5.

If I select everything and import into a blank file then I can import RTF document templates, so my export is fundamentally working. On the import from the everything export, there is nothing to do with matrix as an option.

Interestingly the export window states "Diagram Matrix Profiles". I am assuming these are the same as a Relationship Matrix (from Design - Impact - Matrix). It also fits that they are alongside Gap Matrix Profiles. I have six Relationship Matrices defined so there are some to export.

Grateful for any ideas.
Hi Peter,

All matrix profiles are equal...  But some are more equal than others.   ;)

There are two types of Matrix Profiles, the ones you can see in the Resources window (under Matrix Profiles) and those you can define in a diagram.  They use the same technology (more or less) but they are different things.  The ones in the resources window are stored within the repository, in the t_trxtypes table.  I believe the other ones are in t_object as items of object_type=Artifact.

(Actually, the diagram ones are Matrix Specifications, not profiles)

HTH,
Paolo

Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Helmut Ortmann

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 04:30:08 pm »
Hi,

for Artifacts of type <<EAMatrixSpecification>> the definitions are stored in TaggedValue 'MatrixOptions'.

Example:
<MatrixData>
   <Profile linktype="Dependency" source="Package" target="Package" direction="0" targetpackage="{2F21949B-D75E-483b-AB78-442F733E4CAB}" sourcepackage="{ADF40143-CBBB-4656-9759-AB3E21606187}" showsourcechildren="1" showtargetchildren="1"/>
</MatrixData>

Best regards,

Helmut

Coaching, Training, Workshop (Addins: hoTools, Search&Replace, LineStyle)