Author Topic: name's direction on dgm-link vs on connector  (Read 428 times)

Svend Erik Nygaard

• EA User
  • Business Information Architect
    • View Profile
name's direction on dgm-link vs on connector
« on: August 21, 2018, 09:44:19 pm »
First: This is not about the connector's direction, but about the connector name's direction.

I have noticed, that the name's direction is stored on the diagram link - not on the connector.

This causes the following mal-function in EA:
1) the same connector can have different name directions on different diagrams - very unfortunate
2) when creating the same connector on (another) diagram, the name direction is not transferred (this is more an inconveniency than a malfunction - but it also makes modeling more error-prone, because of point 1 above)

I think the UML spec does noes not address this issue very clearly or explicitly - but I think the name direction should be on the connector itself.

This malfunction will probably make us use the connector's direction for the reading direction instead of the name direction.
Yes, I know, unlike the name direction, the connector direction has a semantic on it (navigability) - but since we don't use our model for forward engineering / code implementation, we may make that decision - unless there are plans to change the above described behavior.

Are there any such plans to change this behavior of the name direction in EA?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:46:30 pm by Svend Erik Nygaard »

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: name's direction on dgm-link vs on connector
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 10:39:15 pm »
I guess you mean the little triangle near the name? According to the UML specs (p. 202):
The solid triangle indicates the order of reading
Which is really a bit sparse for interpretation. IIRC there's no attribute connected. So the spec is to be blamed, not EA.

q.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 10:45:22 pm by qwerty »

Svend Erik Nygaard

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 08:46:22 pm »
... So the spec is to be blamed, not EA.

However, the way it's implemented in EA (placing the name direction on the diagram link instead of on the connector) is strange and causes extra / tedious efforts in modeling - and makes it more error-prone
1) it opens up for setting different name directions on the same connector on different diagrams - which is meaningless and erroneous
2) ... and you have to set it anew each time you re-use the connector on other diagrams

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 08:57:39 pm »
When sending a feature request keep in mind that this would create an incompatibility issue when going from one EA version to another. I guess that chances fo seeing it fixd are quite low.

q.

Svend Erik Nygaard

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 11:16:41 pm »
Yes, that was what I was on my mind from the beginning of this. I don't think it will be changed.
But I also wanted to hear about any work-around or thoughts from Sparx about this for the future - before I made the discussion to use connector direction for reading direction (a decision which will introduce a conventions that brakes the UML semantics - but are feasible for us for the reasons mentioned in the initial post)

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 04:46:29 am »
The only work around is to run a script to check the consistency. That's something I implement in each project in an early stage.

q.