Author Topic: show connectivity/dependency chain  (Read 217 times)

michielper

• EA User
    • View Profile
show connectivity/dependency chain
« on: August 30, 2018, 06:39:33 pm »
An interesting piece of information that is hidden in an architecture repository are the connectivity and dependency chains between components. These are the answers to questions like: "via which other components and connectors is application A connected to application B". Perhaps narrowed down to certain connector types or component types.

As far as I can see, this type of query/report is not supported out of the box in EA but it should be possible to create it, perhaps by using SQL and/or template fragments.... My question is, has anyone thought about this and created a solution?

Thanks in advance!

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: show connectivity/dependency chain
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 06:57:54 pm »
I've create a number of specific searches and excel export scripts to get this type of information.

I'm not aware of a generic solution, and frankly, I'm not sure if such a generic solution would even be possible (as in, is less complicated then writing your own query/script from scratch)

Geert

michielper

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: show connectivity/dependency chain
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 07:39:39 pm »
I've create a number of specific searches and excel export scripts to get this type of information.

I'm not aware of a generic solution, and frankly, I'm not sure if such a generic solution would even be possible (as in, is less complicated then writing your own query/script from scratch)

Geert

Alright, so can you lift a tip of the veil on how to do this, where to start? Template fragments?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller