Author Topic: Status property of diagrams  (Read 599 times)

jörg

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Status property of diagrams
« on: October 09, 2018, 03:16:14 am »
Hi all!
Why don't have diagrams a status property like elements and packages have? Or if the have it, why can't I see it in the properties dialog?

I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile
Re: Status property of diagrams
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 06:14:56 am »
That is correct they don't have a status field on the diagram like elements. Why? Good question I don't really know.
Happy to help
:)

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 01:41:42 pm »
Because no fields have been added to the db schema since at least 2004. (Version 4.0 of EA was the last one that required a database upgrade. Even then I don't think that upgrade was significant.)
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 04:22:32 pm »
Because no fields have been added to the DB schema since at least 2004. (Version 4.0 of EA was the last one that required a database upgrade. Even then I don't think that upgrade was significant.)
But properties have been added - left, right and centre...  8)

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 05:20:15 pm »
Because no fields have been added to the db schema since at least 2004. (Version 4.0 of EA was the last one that required a database upgrade. Even then I don't think that upgrade was significant.)
To be fair, that hasn't stopped you from adding all kinds of fields and information to the model before. Think key-value pair columns like StyleEx, xml strings in columns, t_xref...
So I'm sure if you really wanted to you could add a status field to diagrams without changing the database structure.

Geert

jörg

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 06:53:53 pm »
First, thanks to all for the answers. I will try to make a suggestion in the Suggestions and Requests part of the forum. Maybe it helps  8).

Unfortunately it also seems not to be possible to add a tagged value to a diagram. The 'new tagged value' button is greyed out when I select a diaram.

This is very disappointing since so I can't use diagrams for requirement engineering.

Edit:
Additonal question: What means the setting 'Shaow status colors (all diagrams)' if I can't set a status to a diagram?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 07:01:23 pm by jörg »

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 07:42:57 pm »
Jörg,

You are maybe trying too much to depend on diagrams.
Diagrams are basically a view on your model, but they should not really be part of it.

So for things like statuses etc.. you should look for (or create) an element that represent the contents of your diagram and assign a status (and other properties) to that element.

Status colors are shown as a shadow on elements (more clearly on requirements) that are shown on diagram.
They don't color the diagram itself.

Geert

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 08:15:03 pm »
Well Geert, but views might also have a kind of status.

However Geert is right when saying, you should focus more on your requirement elements and there states. Your requirements are your requirements and you can have many diagrams showing the same requirements.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

jörg

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 08:33:17 pm »
Thanks, Geert, for the explanation of the status coloring (and again for the other help you gave me).

And also thanks to PeterHeitz for the (partial  ;) ) agreement.

Regarding the diagram as a requirement element I can't agree. E. g. an use case diagram is an 'official' way to represent a customer requirement. Why should I place an use case diagram if I additionally have to write a text requirement that describes the same issue? If I did that I would have to edit both in parallel in the case of changes, which is a serious source of errors and inconsistencies. Am I wrong here?

Of course the use case will result in several functional requirements in a latter stage of developing the architecture of a system. Since these have a dependency relationship to the use case diagram they can (and have to) be changed when the use case has changed.

On the other hand e. g. an activity diagram is part of the modeling. In my opinion it should be able here to set a status to represent the state of completion or development from a kind of 'draft' up to the finished and fixed state that tells the developer(s) that the can start to implement this activity.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 08:38:08 pm »
Hi Jörg,

No, the Use Case is the entity that is relevant, and that use case can be shown on different diagrams.
The use case should have a status, not the diagram.

Even more so with activity diagrams. An Activity diagram should only exist nested under an Activity. It is the Activity (and it's status) that is relevant in your model, not the diagram.

Geert

jörg

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 08:52:55 pm »
Hi Geert,

now I understand your point, and I agree.

Nevertheless I think that it would be a useful feature, e.g. for use in (workflow) scripts or addins. There is a version property in diagrams, so they are prepared for a development process with changes. A status property could represent the current development status.

Packages have a status property using a EA.Element class member variable, although they are no requirements. I find it useful to add EA.Element class features to Diagrams, too.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 12:54:19 am »
You could use a stereotyped text element that's (automatically) placed on a diagram (top left). This can contain status (color) information and what you need else like author, last change and so forth.

q.

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 06:47:22 am »
Thinking about this further overnight here are a few options open to you regarding capturing state of a diagram.

1) As the version field on diagrams are strings you could use version field in a diagram to indicate state as a work around.

For example;
Version: [ "0.01:Draft" | "0.02:Draft" | "0.03:Reviewed" | "1.01:Approved" ]
or some other format that suits
The benefit of this is it gets displayed on diagrams if you use diagram notes or show diagram details

For those purists out there - yes I know its violating 1st normal form but its a tactical solution given the constraints.

2) If your not using the stereotype field in the diagram you could hijack that and use that for state.

3) You could create a background image for each state that perhaps has text on it or a colour that reflects the state and set the background.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:03:15 am by Sunshine »
Happy to help
:)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 01:42:02 pm »
You could use a stereotyped text element that's (automatically) placed on a diagram (top left). This can contain status (color) information and what you need else like the author, last change and so forth.

q.
We require our diagrams to have a Title Block item (the Diagram Notes item).  That is used as a proxy for the diagram.  Works well, we can attach Tags etc.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!