Author Topic: I've been asked to overhaul our enterprise data modeling process using SAP power  (Read 537 times)

harrykane140693

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
This is a massive environment with over a thousand tables. There can be a dozen projects active at once that all have their own releases and changes hitting the same data model.

Does PowerDesigner allow you to manage model changes by project and then iteratively 'check in' those changes? I've never used PD before, and it seems to have a bit of a learning curve.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Why are you asking about that Powerdesigner here? Never heard of it. Wouldn't it be better to ask over there?

q.

Sunshine

• EA User
  • Its the results that count
    • View Profile
All these types of tools have a learning curve. Both Sparx EA and Power Designer.
I guess you've failed in the first step of that curve by asking a Sparx EA user group about Power Designer. They are two different produces produced by two different companies

Let me introduce to a fantastic search engine
www.google.com
Where you'll find
http://forums.sybase.com
Happy to help
:)

Helmut Ortmann

• EA User
    • View Profile
Hi,

I would think about my goals regarding now and long-term. Also to put it in writing and discuss it in your organisation is a good idea. A little example with both tools gives you a feeling.

Then I would compare these both tools. Usually, this isn't an easy task with one paramount winner.

In live, there is no best tool only one that fits your goals better. It's always a trade-off. It's the same with buying a car. There might be the best car for you, but there isn't the best car.

Regards,

Helmut
Coaching, Training, Workshop (Addins: hoTools, Search&Replace, LineStyle)

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
This is a massive environment with over a thousand tables. There can be a dozen projects active at once that all have their own releases and changes hitting the same data model.

Does PowerDesigner allow you to manage model changes by project and then iteratively 'check in' those changes? I've never used PD before, and it seems to have a bit of a learning curve.

Having had to use PowerDesigner all I can say is good luck :-)