Author Topic: Logical Data Modelling in SPARX  (Read 2543 times)

Graham_Moir

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Logical Data Modelling in SPARX
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 08:04:30 pm »

Here's the old white paper from Sparx regarding Conceptual --> Logical --> Physical data modelling. 

https://community.sparxsystems.com/white-papers/669-data-modeling-from-conceptual-model-to-dbms

It does state that PK/FKs are not defined at the logical level.

iliab

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 05:52:11 am »
@Richard: You need to place images on a public server (e.g. imgurl) and use the link with the 1st icon 2nd line. Welcome to the 21st century.

Sorry to get off-topic, but IMO a forum incapable of image attachments is anything but "21st century". This came across as an unnecessarily condescending response.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 08:36:58 am »
I had to look up "condescending". Seems like not everybody understands sarcasm.

q.

matthew.james

• EA User
  • Am I supposed to say something here ... ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 10:01:05 am »
Seems like not everybody understands sarcasm.

Given that a textual message lacks all the visual and tonal cues that we have evolved to communicate, mis-interpretation is both easy and commonplace - especially for personas that aren't familiar with each others' regular patterns of communication (including the use of sarcasm). I think that's why we evolved emojis ;)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 05:17:06 pm »
Seems like not everybody understands sarcasm.

Given that a textual message lacks all the visual and tonal cues that we have evolved to communicate, misinterpretation is both easy and commonplace - especially for personas that aren't familiar with each others' regular patterns of communication (including the use of sarcasm). I think that's why we evolved emojis ;)
To remove all doubt, use....  It was a joke,

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Guillaume

• EA User
    • View Profile
    • www.umlchannel.com
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 08:51:06 pm »
Hi David,

I have a client that uses Sparx EA for Data Modelling where we manage Conceptual, Logical Physical Data Models.
Usually the Physical Data Models (PDM) are generated via a reverse on a existing DB to understand an existing schema prior to apply changes in the analysis model (LDM).
Logical Data Models are UML class diagrams defined during the analysis process, either "from scratch" or based on an existing PDM, yet without the technology tied with.
Conceptual Data Models are linked either with standards or pivot models ; this can be useful to establish mapping from your LDM.

Sparx EA also provides model transformation features (MDA) to generate a data model for a given DBMS from a UML class diagram but I've seen this less used.
The DB Builder is quite nice if you work on Data Models.

Guillaume

Blog: www.umlchannel.com | Free utilities addin: www.eautils.com