Author Topic: switch all Sparx users to read only mode  (Read 2919 times)

BruceTOGAF2

• EA User
    • View Profile
switch all Sparx users to read only mode
« on: July 25, 2019, 12:34:38 am »
We are planning to migrate our PRODUCTION Sparx Repository from Oracle to SQL Server. When we used Sparx DBMS to DBMS Project Transfer to migrate our DEVELOPMENT Sparx Repository, it took 4 days. We plan to start on a Thursday evening and complete on Monday. We need to ensure that, during the PRODUCTION migration (4 days), users should not make any changes to the SPARX repository.

Our chief architect wants me to switch all Sparx users to read only mode for those 4 days, so that users can still view (but not update) the Sparx model in the Oracle Repository. 

I have experimented with creating a Sparx Security Group that locks the parent package containing all child packages. This experiment did not prevent a user making updates within a child package if the user is a member of the Sparx Security Group that previously locked that child package. I want to avoid the laborious tasks of
•   listing all group-locked packages
•   unlocking all group-locked packages before locking the parent package
•   unlocking the parent package after the migration
•   re-applying all those group-locks after the migration

Please can you advise us on how to switch all Sparx users to read only mode for those 4 days. 

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: switch all Sparx users to read only mode
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 01:27:17 am »
Why don't you switch the database itself read-only?
Your DBA should be able to help you do that.

Geert

PS. 4 days for a database transfer? How big is your database? The models I've worked with transferred to .eap file from 5 minutes to 45 minutes, but never longer.
Funny thing, SQL Server -> .eap file -> SQL Server was faster then SQL Server -> SQL Server.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 08:38:46 am »
Why don't you switch the database itself read-only?
Your DBA should be able to help you do that.

Geert

PS. 4 days for a database transfer? How big is your database? The models I've worked with transferred to .eap file from 5 minutes to 45 minutes, but never longer.
Funny thing, SQL Server -> .eap file -> SQL Server was faster then SQL Server -> SQL Server.
Well, our experience has been SQL Server -> EAP 7 mins, EAP->SQL Server a couple of hours (EAP file size ~800Mb).  Don't know why.

Your observation of the Funny thing is probably true, but we never tried it.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 09:20:37 am »
If I had a similar requirement I would set the model on the cloud server as read-only. Failing that, disable all edit related permissions for all security groups.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

BruceTOGAF2

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 05:39:22 pm »
Hi Geert, No surprise that SQL Server -> eap file -> SQL Server was faster then SQL Server -> SQL Server. Sparx Systems Support told me that eap files are faster than DBMS to DBMS Project Transfer.

However my task is to migrate from Oracle to SQL Server a database that is too large for eap. Sparx Systems Support insist that under these circumstances, I must use DBMS to DBMS Project Transfer.

Since I posted this subject, I have found a simple solution and tested it successfully in DEV. This technique temporarily switches all users to read only mode. In our Sparx Cloud Service Server, I have set the Database Manager to Read-only. In ‘Sparx Cloud DEV Oracle’ I can browse, but I can no longer make any changes.

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 05:52:53 pm »
Hi Geert, No surprise that SQL Server -> eap file -> SQL Server was faster then SQL Server -> SQL Server. Sparx Systems Support told me that eap files are faster than DBMS to DBMS Project Transfer.

However, my task is to migrate from Oracle to SQL Server a database that is too large for eap. Sparx Systems Support insist that under these circumstances, I must use DBMS to DBMS Project Transfer.

Since I posted this subject, I have found a simple solution and tested it successfully in DEV. This technique temporarily switches all users to read-only mode. In our Sparx Cloud Service Server, I have set the Database Manager to Read-only. In ‘Sparx Cloud DEV Oracle’ I can browse, but I can no longer make any changes.
Hi Bruce,

are you using the old Access97 (Jet 3.5) for your .EAP file?  You should switch to the Jet 4.0 engine and the Access2000 .Eapx files.  They should be able to accommodate a large repository.  Did you see our test?  Our .eapx files are over 1GB before compressing.

HTH,
Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

eberline

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 04:34:55 am »

3-4 days is about how long it recently took to transfer my .eapx to SQL Server over WAN, w/o Cloud Services or WAN Optimizer or anything like that. The .eapx was about 1/2 GB.

are you using the old Access97 (Jet 3.5) for your .EAP file?  You should switch to the Jet 4.0 engine and the Access2000 .Eapx files.  They should be able to accommodate a large repository.  Did you see our test?  Our .eapx files are over 1GB before compressing.

Interesting... I took Sparx at their word in their 2014 whitepaper and elsewhere asserting that for Jet formats, "less than 30-40 mb is recommended".

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 05:27:43 am »
Wow. What kind of WAN is that? Think of using pigeons with USB sticks attached. They have a much greater bandwidth!

q.

eberline

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 08:00:35 am »
Wow. What kind of WAN is that? Think of using pigeons with USB sticks attached. They have a much greater bandwidth!

San Francisco  <-->  Montreal, Quebec; current ping is 66 ms.

(IPoAC? God-like MTU, but reportedly up to 55% packet loss and terrible latency.)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 08:02:37 am »

q.
In the OLD days, when we had those stand-alone tape drives and mainframes, it use to be said that the transfer rate of a tape in a lift beat the network transfer hands down...

But that was 4 decades ago...

Paolo
-Semantica-

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 09:18:30 am »
I was just waving signs. Sometimes you have to dig at different locations to find the bug.

q.