Author Topic: Opening SysML models in EA without SysML plugin  (Read 243 times)

JAHennum

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Opening SysML models in EA without SysML plugin
« on: October 15, 2019, 09:41:59 pm »
Can't find any info about this elsewhere, so I'm trying here. I use EA 14 with SysML plugin. I have to share some of my models with colleagues using v13 or 13.5, and without the SysML plugin. First of all, there is no "save as .eap" option, but at least just deleting the x from .eapx makes it possible to at least open the file in v13. However, when the model is opened, all diagrams look terrible, and I can't seem to fix it. In SysML I use diagram frames on close to all diagrams, and it looks like it's this that messes things up. In v13.x, instead of a diagram frame, I get a background package symbol, with all the contents of the package listed on the left of the diagram (these versions of EA are installed on a military restricted network, so I can't take screenshots to share here), which looks very strange and cluttery indeed.

The real problem with this is that I can't seem to access or remove the package symbol in any way. Any tips here would be very welcome!! I really don't want to do anything to my original model, as that is modeled the way I want it to be, I just want the copy to be usable until the SysML plugin can be approved and installed (which, knowing the military, can take a very long time...)

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Opening SysML models in EA without SysML plugin
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 09:57:39 pm »
Are you sure that installing a plugin (is there a plugin for SysML? I though that was one of the standard MDG technologies) on v13 or v12 is going to solve anything?

I suspect that the new DiagramFrame thing is being used by SysML, and that is simply not recognized as such by older versions.

Geert

JAHennum

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 10:15:45 pm »
It's been a while since I used v13 with SysML plugin, but I am fairly certain I was able to use diagram frames in my models then as well. We do want to use SysML and not UML in that environment as well, so as soon as the plugin is approved, it will hopefully be installed. We'll have to see if that fixes this particular issue.

However, the main question is if it is possible (in the meantime) to get rid of this package symbol? It almost looks like it's a background image or something when opening the models in the older versions. I can't select it, and nothing I do does anything with it. Any ideas?

peterc

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 06:52:22 pm »
Which "level" of EA are you using? At some point the Corporate edition has gained SysML as an included MDG technology rather than needing a separate MDG - V15 at least does. So an alternative option would be to upgrade to that.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 06:58:40 pm »
However, the main question is if it is possible (in the meantime) to get rid of this package symbol? It almost looks like it's a background image or something when opening the models in the older versions. I can't select it, and nothing I do does anything with it. Any ideas?
You probably can, but then you would have to inspect the diagram(objects) in the database to figure out what is making EA to show this package, and then write a script or something to change that.

Geert

JAHennum

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 07:42:16 pm »
Which "level" of EA are you using? At some point the Corporate edition has gained SysML as an included MDG technology rather than needing a separate MDG - V15 at least does. So an alternative option would be to upgrade to that.

Like I wrote earlier, the problem is that this version of EA is installed on a military restricted network, and upgrades here are extremely slow. I am also not allowed to make any changes to the installation myself. So ideally, I would like to just figure out why this package symbol is showing, and how to turn it off.

You probably can, but then you would have to inspect the diagram(objects) in the database to figure out what is making EA to show this package, and then write a script or something to change that.

That would also not be possible, unfortunately. I can put stuff on this network, but not remove anything once there.

I did manage to make a (very...) pixelated screenshot though. Hopefully enough for you to understand what exactly I mean. However, I can't seem to be able to upload it... There is no attachment alternatives under "Attachment and other options" when writing a post :(

peterc

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 07:56:18 pm »
If you can put stuff on the network, is there any reason why you cannot purchase a license to the SysML MDG and put the MDG and license file on there alongside the model? You shouldn't need to fiddle with the installation, just add the right path to the SysML MDG Technology. You could even consider importing the SysML MDG into the model on your PC (so that it all goes together within the EAP file when transferred) - I've no idea how the licensing works in that case where it is a purchased license rather than an MDG that you create yourself.

It might also be worth you downloading a copy of EA 13 (you can install more than one version on a PC) so that you can see what it looks like outside of the destination network and find the solution before transferring the model - I'm just wondering whether it is something about EA13.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 07:57:21 pm »
You have to post the image on a public image hosting site such as imgur.com and then link to it from here.

Why would a script not be possible? You can export your model, run the script, and then upload it to the secure network no?

(I'm talking about internal EA scripts here)

Geert

JAHennum

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 08:57:01 pm »
If you can put stuff on the network, is there any reason why you cannot purchase a license to the SysML MDG and put the MDG and license file on there alongside the model? You shouldn't need to fiddle with the installation, just add the right path to the SysML MDG Technology. You could even consider importing the SysML MDG into the model on your PC (so that it all goes together within the EAP file when transferred) - I've no idea how the licensing works in that case where it is a purchased license rather than an MDG that you create yourself.

Not sure... would have to check this out. In essence, I have a local install on my regular computer on this network, so what you are suggesting could perhaps be possible. The thing is, I work as a consultant for the military, so I am not going to purchase a license. Perhaps I can try with my existing license, just to test...

It might also be worth you downloading a copy of EA 13 (you can install more than one version on a PC) so that you can see what it looks like outside of the destination network and find the solution before transferring the model - I'm just wondering whether it is something about EA13.

That's a good idea, I'll see if I will take the time to do that.

You have to post the image on a public image hosting site such as imgur.com and then link to it from here.

Ah. Here it is then: https://imgur.com/gallery/eXKwSOv

Why would a script not be possible? You can export your model, run the script, and then upload it to the secure network no?

I can't export the model once it's on the secure network. I could run a script before copying it over there, though.

As for now, I have gone the easy road, and disabled the diagram frames in the original model. Then the copy model in EA 13 doesn't show up with these package symbols everywhere (obviously, the diagram frame is somehow "translated" into something else that just doesn't look good). Not the way I wanted to go, since I do use the diagram frame as a model element in certain diagrams, but it's the best I can do just now.

Is it just me, or does EA handle diagram frames in a strange way? I recently noticed that I can't move a diagram in the model with the diagram frame turned on. I had to switch it off, save the diagram, move the diagram, then switch it on again. What would be the reason for such a behavior?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 09:00:41 pm by JAHennum »

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 09:37:10 pm »
Is it just me, or does EA handle diagram frames in a strange way? I recently noticed that I can't move a diagram in the model with the diagram frame turned on. I had to switch it off, save the diagram, move the diagram, then switch it on again. What would be the reason for such a behavior?
The diagram frame represents the owner of the diagram (most often a Activity, or State Machine)
If you move the diagram to another owner the diagram frame would reference the wrong element as owner.
Therefore you need to disable the diagram frame before moving the diagram.

(This is my interpretation of the "Sparxian Logic", not the way I would implement it)

Geert