Author Topic: Does EA Architect enforce unique IDs for Requirements?  (Read 337 times)

mse

• EA User
    • View Profile
Does EA Architect enforce unique IDs for Requirements?
« on: March 11, 2019, 09:53:40 pm »
I'm creating Requirements directly in EA Architect and wanted to know if EA Architect will warn me if I have a duplicate ID. I set up a naming scheme where my Alias increments with a pattern like REQ0000, REQ0001, REQ000n, ...

In the Requirement itself, the name is for example  "Update Warning Indicator", some notes I enter, and I also attached an RTF for the specification of the requirement.

My ID is the Alias. I do this so that you can recognize the requirement on a diagram or in the specification editor.

How should I best manage my IDs? Was it a good choice to use the Alias as my ID? Will it enforce uniqueness?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 09:56:05 pm by mse »

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Does EA Architect enforce unique IDs for Requirements?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 10:02:07 pm »
You could use this:
https://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/13.0/modeling_tools/autocounternames.html
As long as you do not change the automatically generated values those should be unique.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

mse

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 10:10:52 pm »
That's the technique I'm using, however, after modifying for example my alias REQ0004 to REQ0000 for example, no warning was issued that I already have REQ0000. In fact, I shouldn't be able to modify it. It's as you say, as long as I don't modify the alias, I'm okay. However, what if someone inadvertently modify it?

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 10:25:52 pm »
There is no check feature in EA.
If you need that, you need to write a "check script" youselfe.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 10:51:59 pm »
There's something named RaQuest for EA which might be helpful (without knowing it in detail). When it comes to many requirements and uniqueness I'd likely still go for DOORS (the dinosaur) and import requirements into EA with a script (I found the EA addin for DOORS too limiting).

q.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 06:02:37 am by qwerty »

jfzouain

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 05:37:28 am »
mse

I have never used EA Numbering, what I can tell you what have worked for me in 15 years as a BA/TA is that I have a naming convention for the requirements, use cases, classes, etc.

I am telling you this because in an enterprise where you have different users using EA can be confusing, and even for a single user you have to plan to be consistent in your documentation.

In my eBook UML-ERP Workshop with EA, I have a whole chapter dedicated to Hints on Naming, Color Schemes, Use Cases, Activity Diagrams, etc.
https://leanpub.com/uml-erpworkshop

My Humble Opinion
Best regards

Jose Zouain