Author Topic: basestereotypes?  (Read 266 times)

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
basestereotypes?
« on: March 13, 2019, 01:42:17 pm »
As we're "plundering" the ArchiMate3 MDG to build the model for our MDG, we've found the attribute basestereotypes applied to stereotype definitions.   What does it mean?  The help system seems to be mute on it.  What's the difference between it and the generalizes attribute?

How do we model this relationship to the "real" stereotype?

TIA,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: basestereotypes?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 09:03:44 am »
I've only just sat down, but one shows multiple inheritance and the other doesn't. Both are created using generalization connectors.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 09:36:38 am »
I've only just sat down, but one shows multiple inheritance and the other doesn't. Both are created using generalization connectors.
And you really mean Generalization, not Extension, yes?  I ask for clarification as the QuickLinker doesn't allow Generalization between «stereotypes».

Paolo
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 03:06:32 pm »
And you really mean Generalization, not Extension, yes?  I ask for clarification as the QuickLinker doesn't allow Generalization between «stereotypes».

Paolo
Yes, generalization. The quicklinker is not correct here.

Geert

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 08:50:07 am »
I ask for clarification as the QuickLinker doesn't allow Generalization between «stereotypes».
Really? I just tested two different builds and it does. It's the second item. The reverse (Specialization) is also the only item in the reverse group.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 10:51:04 am »
I ask for clarification as the QuickLinker doesn't allow Generalization between «stereotypes».
Really? I just tested two different builds and it does. It's the second item. The reverse (Specialization) is also the only item in the reverse group.
Maybe it depends on which MDGs you have enabled?  I know I have most disabled, I suspect Geert might also.

What's the minimum set of MDGs to see what you're seeing?

Plundering the Archimate 3 MDG, we created a stereotype  Business Behaviour and another Business.  Dragging the QuickLinker from Business Behaviour to Business, We see Substitution, and then the usual suspects:  Abstraction, Dependency, Information Flow, Realization, Usage, Trace.

[Edit: seems to be related to the [X] Filter to toolbox checkbox.  Unmarking it, reveals the Generalization and Reverse Specialization.
 Should that be the case?]

Paolo
-Semantica-

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 01:59:19 pm »
The toolbox that EA shows for any diagram in a package stereotyped as profile always offers Generalization. So unless you've changed the toolbox it shouldn't matter.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 05:27:04 pm »
The toolbox that EA shows for any diagram in a package stereotyped as profile always offers Generalization. So unless you've changed the toolbox it shouldn't matter.
Ahhh... Our intern had forgotten to do that...

All good now!

Paolo
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 05:47:13 pm by Paolo F Cantoni »
-Semantica-