Author Topic: How to use RefGUIDList or What the meaning with it?  (Read 236 times)

steen.jensen

• EA User
    • View Profile
How to use RefGUIDList or What the meaning with it?
« on: March 17, 2019, 10:51:46 am »
Anyone having a good example where RefGUIDList is useful?
Im litle confused when to use it.

For example, We have a Object Catalog for DataFlow (Sematic interoperability) between applications  and a Integration catalog (Technical Interoperability) that builds the DataFlow.(One or multiple Integrations realise one DataFlow)
There is many to many relations between those.
Should I use standard Matrix view and just select a simple realisation 
or is RefGUIDList usefull for this?? Where eash DataFlow specificefy each used Integration i RefGUIDList

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: How to use RefGUIDList or What the meaning with it?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 08:08:26 pm »
Anyone having a good example where RefGUIDList is useful?
It isn't, at least not how the selection of items is implemented in EA.
Selecting multiple items for a RefGUIDList tagged value is really clumsy.

In most circumstances I would opt for multiple RefGUID tagged value with the same name. I know it's not entirely syntactically correct, but it works and is much easier to use.

The concept of having a tagged value that links to multiple other items can be very useful though. Not so much between elements, because you can use connectors between elements, but for other things such as attributes, associations, operation, ...
If only the GUI to select these linked items would be more user friendly  :-\
Things this could be useful for:
- mapping between attributes (attribute from message A is mapped to 3 attributes in datamodel B)
- link state transitions to operations that cause these transitions
- link validation rule elements with the attributes they control.

Geert

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Re: How to use RefGUIDList or What the meaning with it?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 09:28:21 am »
In most circumstances I would opt for multiple RefGUID tagged value with the same name. I know it's not entirely syntactically correct, but it works and is much easier to use.
My personal recommendation is the same. But I disagree that it's not syntactically correct. It's multiple values in the one slot. The fact that XMI export, reporting, shape scripts etc don't handle it that way doesn't mean that it's not conceptually the same.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com