Author Topic: Read via ODBC/OLEDB to *.eap file from Add-In doesn't work in ClearCase  (Read 309 times)

Helmut Ortmann

• EA User
    • View Profile
Hello,

the Add-In reads from its own *.eap file via ODBC/OLEDB. Everything fine until recently.

Since some time I get errors  (System.Data.OleDbException (0x80004005), the database couldn't be opened) if the *.eap file is checked out with Clear Case. Without ClearCase checkout everything works as it should.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Helmut
Coaching, Training, Workshop (Addins: hoTools, Search&Replace, LineStyle)

Eve

• EA Administrator
  • EA Guru
    • View Profile
Generally speaking having an eap file in any version control provider tends to be a problem.

One of the problems that seems common in this scenario is that the file checked out is often read-only on the file system. My guess is that's your issue.
Eve

support@sparxsystems.com

Helmut Ortmann

• EA User
    • View Profile
Hello Eve,

thanks for your comment.

In this case, it makes sense to use Version Control and store the *.eap file. We are using the branching mechanism for parallel development and LemonTree for merge. It works pretty well and we always know which issue is in which EA model variant implemented.

Our issue is only related to the access via ODBC/OLEDB to the *.eap file. Until some weeks it runs smoothly. Maybe I have luck and someone says: Yes, I have seen something like this. Read/Write via the EA API (SQL) runs without issues. It looks like a locking issue of the Access Database in conjunction with ClearCase as a Version Control tool.

Thanks,

Helmut

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
You didn't (by accident) check in the .ldb file did you?
If you did, that would explain the problem. (the .ldb file is still read-only, thus you can't access the .eap file)

Geert

Helmut Ortmann

• EA User
    • View Profile
Hello Geert,

thanks for your valuable comment.

I've checked it with different *.eap files and EA runs without any trouble (read/write). Only the additional access (read) makes the trouble.

I've solved it by making all access via EA SQL and not by LINQ/ODBC/OLEDB. Is still a mystery to me.

Best regards,

Helmut