Author Topic: Show all feature requests  (Read 22314 times)

Mats Gejnevall

• EA User
    • View Profile
Show all feature requests
« on: March 26, 2019, 02:37:26 am »
It would be very interesting to see all feature requests submitted and the status of them (e.g. in progress, rejected, being analysed, impossible, to expensive,...)

And maybe include a possibility to vote (and amend, comment) on a feature to give SPARX some insentive to prioritise a certain feature ! :P

What do you think? Today we have no idea what happens with our feature requests.  ???

/Mats

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Show all feature requests
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 02:48:44 am »
Hi Mats,

We (the users) all agree and have proposed this a few times in the past. (the same for bugs)

The problem is that Sparx Systems has to want that as well.
And until now we haven't seen much movement in that direction.

It would fit however in the more modern idea's of how to be a software company in the 21st century.

Geert

MichaelJ

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 07:59:08 pm »

It would fit however in the more modern idea's of how to be a software company in the 21st century.

Geert

Absolutely agree with this statement. Sparx EA could be the BEST product on the market but for reasons only the heavens know, they ignore/hide feature requests/bugs, and continue to build new features (maybe because "features" entice new users?) leaving existing customers frustrated and exasperated at slow rate of improvement (v15 is the first version so show some level of attention to improve the product)

What is so complicated / hard for Sparx to release a single "quality improvement release" that addresses a few things like
  • Inconsistent interface layout i.e scroll bars located in positions NEVER before seen in Windows Apps (Browser window-> tiny scroll bar in top right !! WTF!?)
  • buttons located on right side, sometimes on bottom, sometimes on left side of dialogs
  • set common properties across all selected elements
  • consistent colour selector as found across Windows apps, not some custom palette
  • resizable dialogs so users can see all information presented in the dialog
  • improved rendering performance (use WPF, SlimDX for .NET or consider screen buffering techniques)
  • consistent use of whitespace across the entire product

A 21st century company cares about their product and paying customers and surely will readily address issues such as the above, to ensure their future survival. One assumes the slow response to embrace 21st century thinking is due to the current management present at the company: old, lethargic, ancient, stuck in fame of the 80's and struggling to embrace ideas / feedback that will enable them to fly! If true, the only hope is for fresh management, fresh ideas

CottleM

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 12:16:50 pm »
Hi Mats,

We (the users) all agree and have proposed this a few times in the past. (the same for bugs)

The problem is that Sparx Systems has to want that as well.
And until now we haven't seen much movement in that direction.

Geert

Could not agree more.  Voting on improvements / bugs is now mainstream and JIRA provides this functionality out of the box.  I really like EA and I've been getting various places I've worked at to buy it whenever my job requires it.  But, there are some omissions which make me scratch my head.

The most glaring one for me is the inability to reverse engineer a database from DDL.  This has bitten me twice in the last 2 months.  On both occasions I've been sent DDL by e-mail and asked to make a data model diagram when I don't have access to the database.  On the first occasion, I had to get a developer to download and install the EA 30 day demo and talk them through using the ODBC import.  The second time, due to the locked-down environment that wasn't an option so I had to point the requester at the horrible Oracle SQL Developer Datamodeller.  Trust me, when that tool is outperforming you in any dimension, you have a problem :)

The fact that Oracle's free tool can do this (and not just for Oracle - these DBs were SQL Server) shows that the functionality can be implemented economically.  I found a similar function request back in September 2010 so they've had nearly 9 years to deliver.  Frustrating...

timoc

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 06:41:31 pm »
There is always the option of the users collating the material themselves either on this board, or if that is a problem, as a community service in a google documents or even in a free issue tracker/github like tool. It might not work for the issues already reported, but...

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 06:58:34 pm »
You mean something like that: https://app.assembla.com/spaces/enterprise-architect/tickets/realtime_list

(This is a zombie. I abandoned many years ago, but I bet a couple of those still live)

q.

timoc

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 07:30:44 pm »
You mean something like that: https://app.assembla.com/spaces/enterprise-architect/tickets/realtime_list

(This is a zombie. I abandoned many years ago, but I bet a couple of those still live)

q.
Crikey  :o

flexjoly

• EA User
  • Divaeloper
    • View Profile
    • Female Divaeloper
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 11:09:06 pm »
We also very much agree with all of this!

What is so complicated / hard for Sparx to release a single "quality improvement release" that addresses a few things like
  • Inconsistent interface layout i.e scroll bars located in positions NEVER before seen in Windows Apps (Browser window-> tiny scroll bar in top right !! WTF!?)
  • buttons located on right side, sometimes on bottom, sometimes on left side of dialogs
  • set common properties across all selected elements
  • consistent colour selector as found across Windows apps, not some custom palette
  • resizable dialogs so users can see all information presented in the dialog
  • improved rendering performance (use WPF, SlimDX for .NET or consider screen buffering techniques)
  • consistent use of whitespace across the entire product

I would like to add:
  • update GUI to same standards as VisualParadigm; it would save time and reduce a lot of clicking
  • (Remove the captcha from this forum for registered users  ;D :P)

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 12:12:33 am »
    • (Remove the captcha from this forum for registered users  ;D :P)
    Hmm, I've never seen a captcha on this forum. Maybe the first time I registered, but definitely not anywhere in the last 10 to 15 years.
    I guess at a certain point they start trusting you not to be a robot ;D

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
    • I'm no guru at all
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 02:10:16 am »
    I remember having seen that dreaded Captcha a couple of times, but I can't remember in which circumstances exactly. I had a rant where a Sparxian responded but find that again with THAT search.

q.

KP

• EA Administrator
    • EA Expert
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 11:35:21 am »
    I guess at a certain point they start trusting you not to be a robot ;D

15 posts  :)
    « Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:12:08 pm by KP »
    The Sparx Team
    support@sparxsystems.com

Stanislav Hrabí

• EA Novice
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 12:47:32 am »
    I too would appreciate seeing list of my requests/bug reports - and their status. And being able to upvote helpful feature request would be nice too. Sometimes it gets a little frustrating not knowing if anybody is working on an issue you have reported...

timoc

• EA User
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 07:11:50 am »
    I too would appreciate seeing list of my requests/bug reports - and their status. And being able to upvote helpful feature request would be nice too. Sometimes it gets a little frustrating not knowing if anybody is working on an issue you have reported...
    The irony being that sparx kind of market EA as a tool that is based on the idea of the capture, modelling, visualisation and sharing of views to stakeholders (like us), on  the requirements, feature requests etc, of a product/project model....

The lack of transparency in the EA project (in a 21st century version of the application) makes you wonder why they cannot use their own tools to show how effective they are. Weird huh? At this stage i have no idea, possibly it cannot support the complexity of its own development? or it is a Sparx culture thing? or an engineering effort calculation thing? but it is what it is.

qwerty

• EA Guru
    • I'm no guru at all
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 08:09:02 am »
    We had this discussion with the 5 stages (Kübler-Ross) somewhere else in this forum. Happy to see that not everyone is on stage 5 ;-)

q.

timoc

• EA User
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 03, 2019, 11:31:04 pm »
    We had this discussion with the 5 stages (Kübler-Ross) somewhere else in this forum. Happy to see that not everyone is on stage 5 ;-)

q.
    The problem as i see it is essentially that the overall lack of transparency of a known issue/feature list is slowly demoralising those of us who want to see the product improve. This demoralisation over time drains the will to stay involved, right to the point where i won't feel the need to participate unless it directly effects me, because there is no perceived benefit in doing so (stage 5).

I'm only human, and to be honest i'm not sure it is one i should get over if i want to continue to use EA.