Author Topic: Check In/Out if nothing has changed on the model  (Read 1597 times)

f

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
Check In/Out if nothing has changed on the model
« on: March 27, 2019, 06:39:59 pm »
I noticed "Package Control --> Check In" commits to SVN also if nothing has changed. It will change some internal timestamps then. How can I prevent a commit in that case?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
Re: Check In/Out if nothing has changed on the model
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 07:13:08 pm »
I don't think you can.

Geert

f

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 09:26:00 pm »
The SVN support of the package control urgently needs an improvement. It's already hard for me to convince developers to use UML at all, but such basic technical difficulties in daily work makes it even harder for them to accept Sparx EA.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 10:00:23 pm »
It's already hard for me to convince developers to use UML at all
Maybe you shouldn't.
I'm inclined to agree with your developers. It's easier to write code directly then model UML and generate code from it.

I'm all for modelling when it's done on another level of abstraction, such as functional or business analysis.
But unless you can do 100% code generation, and it there is an objective benefit to doing it this way, I'm not sure if modelling code (instead of writing code) is really such a good idea.

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 10:46:18 pm »
I agree with Geert. Modeling and documenting with UML is superb. But getting code and model in synch is still a PITA.

q.

f

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 12:22:59 am »
We do not generate code from the model. IMHO, that will never work.

But in addition to doxygen, which is good at the level of being a dictionary for operations and attributes, UML modelling is very good above that, on a higher level of abstraction (explaining context and interaction of modules and classes).

As the C4 approach of Simon Brown says, use UML to
  • create drafts at the stage before coding on a high-level approach of your software. => This helps for real teamwork (discussion, presentation)
  • After coding, use UML to parse and sync back your sources to the model and adapt your draft diagrams to the coded reality and use it to generate a neat high-level software documentation of all 4 C4 abstraction layers. => This helps against the single-source problem within the developers team, and helps the project/product management to understand the complexity of the software
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 12:34:26 am by f »

PeterHeintz

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 10:12:14 pm »
Yes, using SVN is a kind of overhead.
In our environment we typically use just MS-SQL DB without an external version control system as long as possible.
If we really need to compare or revert old stuff with new stuff, we use the Package Baseline feature. Later maybe when the stuff goes to maintenance we switch to SVN.
This does not mean that you should do the same, but you should not just handle model elements as your users handle source code without thinking.
Best regards,

Peter Heintz