Author Topic: Star symbol behind MDG name  (Read 1274 times)

fp123

• EA User
    • View Profile
Star symbol behind MDG name
« on: April 03, 2019, 01:07:14 am »
Does anybody know the meaning of a star (*) symbol behind the name of a MDG technology in the MDG managment window?
In the company, we are using own document templates, that are contained in our own MDG technology. When adding this MDG to EA an restarting it, a star symbol is shown behind the name of the MDG.

Secondly our MDG appears twice in the MDG Technologies window.
Location of the first entry is "Model". The location of the second entry is the path to our network directory where the MDG is stored.
As far as i know, there should only be one entry?! Why do we have two of them?

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
Re: Star symbol behind MDG name
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 01:32:53 am »
Your  model has imported an MDG in the resources and there's also the same on the MDG search path. Get rid of either (you should know which of both).

q.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 02:52:00 am »
* is for the Active MDG. This has an impact on things like overriding standard toolboxes.

Geert

fp123

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 07:36:15 pm »
Ok, thanks for your explanations.

I've just found the following:
https://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/14.0/modeling_tools/importmdgtechnologies.html

As I understand, it's the best solution to import the MDG to the model, if the MDG shall be used by all users of the model.
Will the MDG then be stored in the model, or does every user need access to the folder on our network directory, where the MDG is located after generating it?

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 08:03:16 pm »
Ok, thanks for your explanations.

I've just found the following:
https://sparxsystems.com/enterprise_architect_user_guide/14.0/modeling_tools/importmdgtechnologies.html

As I understand, it's the best solution to import the MDG to the model, if the MDG shall be used by all users of the model.
Will the MDG then be stored in the model, or does every user need access to the folder on our network directory, where the MDG is located after generating it?
No, if it's in the model there is no relation anymore to the file where it was imported from.
The content is actually stored in the model

Geert

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 09:55:11 pm »
It's not definitely "the best" to store it in the model. It depends on your modeling requirements and constraints. I always suggest to place MDGs in the search path you can define in the MDG management (and also to clean up the MDGTechnologies folder in the EA program directory).

q.