Author Topic: Running Add-In on a database  (Read 1503 times)

MrSnow

• EA User
    • View Profile
Running Add-In on a database
« on: April 04, 2019, 08:29:10 pm »
Hi,

I am working on an Addin that creates a JSON-schema based on a class diagram in EA. When I run my Addin (by right-click inside the class diagram -> specialize -> Export JSON Schema) it works fine when I run it on a locally based project.

When I connect to a database by VPN (ODBC) and access a class diagram inside the database-repo and try to run the Addin, EA freezes completely.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Aaron B

• EA Administrator
  • EA User
    • View Profile
Re: Running Add-In on a database
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 12:03:04 pm »
I haven't encountered anything like this before. Hard to know where exactly the problem may lie without seeing your code.

It's certainly possible that the latency of a direct DB connection over a VPN could introduce performance problems. Using a cloud connection instead may help alleviate some performance problems.

Have you tried either debugging your add-in or writing out trace statements to see at what point it appears to be hanging?

If you can provide samples of your add-in code and want to investigate further, please send to support@sparxsystems.com and we'll see what we can do to help.

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 02:44:42 pm »
I'd run Process Monitor (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon) and try and capture exactly what is happening when it freezes.

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 02:56:28 pm »
I'd run Process Monitor (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon) and try and capture exactly what is happening when it freezes.
I guess debugging it would be the first step right?

Geert

MrSnow

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 05:32:45 pm »
I guess debugging it would be the first step right?

Geert

I have tried to debug it and attach it to EA.exe to see where in the code it freezes, but I get no information from this method because EA freezes right away when I run the addin (from EA).

Why would there be a reason for the Addin to work on a local project class diagram, but not a 100% similar class diagram in a database? My lack of experience working with databases and EA is absolutely an obsticle here, so my questions may be stupid.

/Snow

Geert Bellekens

• EA Guru
  • Make EA work for YOU!
    • View Profile
    • Enterprise Architect Consultant and Value Added Reseller
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 06:30:17 pm »
If you see your menu then your add-in is already working.

There must be somewhere to set a breakpoint. I've never seen such behavior when switching from .eap file to database.
Maybe you can test with a local database?

Geert