Author Topic: EA 14: ArchiMate Implementation and Migration Links Broken  (Read 526 times)

czamora

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
EA 14: ArchiMate Implementation and Migration Links Broken
« on: December 12, 2018, 08:54:32 am »
I'm using EA v14.1.1427

When working in an ArchitMate Implementation and Migration diagram, I can't seem to get the quick link to show any of correct relationships between elements. For example, "Realizes" is missing between Work Packages and Deliverables, "Triggering" is missing between two different Plateaus. Oddly, I can make a Deliverable "realize" a Work Package, but not the other way around, which is completely backwards. None of the main relationships seem to work according to the ArchiMate 3.0 spec (http://pubs.opengroup.org/architecture/archimate3-doc/chap13.html#_Toc489946119).

In fact, if I try to create any of these links manually from the toolbox, it gives me an error saying "Invalid combination of source and target types." The only way I can get any correct links to work is by turning off "Strict Connector Syntax" for the entire model, which is a pretty crappy workaround.

Can it really be true that ArchiMate Implementation and Migration diagrams are completely broken in the latest version of EA? Is anyone else frustrated with all of the ArchiMate problems since v14 released? Seems like some very simple regression testing should have caught these issues before releasing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:57:36 am by czamora »

matthew.james

• EA User
  • Am I supposed to say something here ... ?
    • View Profile
Re: EA 14: ArchiMate Implementation and Migration Links Broken
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 10:51:41 am »
TL;DR - it's a bug, report it (through the bug report link, posting to this forum is not sufficient for a bug to be raised)

Sparx have been tinkering with the Archimate MDG across multiple v14 releases, culminating in a change of the way relationships are defined (it is now 'model based' rather than using an earlier 'CSV file based' design, as I understand it).  Apparently this new model based design drives both the quicklink and validation of connectors (i.e, strict connector syntax).

There is (fair) argument from Sparx that the Archimate spec is ambiguous and inconsistent and (in particular) there are many relationships define in appendix B of the spec which are not clearly valid based on the spec's meta-model. However, in previous posts (which I can't find right now :( ) various Sparx reps have asserted that the Archimate model implemented in the product is complete and correct wrt the latest Archimate spec. However I (and others) have found this to not be the case - or at least have found that explicitly valid relationships from the spec are either not provided by the quicklink or treated as invalid, or both.

michielper

• EA User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 05:54:59 pm »
I'm using EA v14.1.1427

When working in an ArchitMate Implementation and Migration diagram, I can't seem to get the quick link to show any of correct relationships between elements. For example, "Realizes" is missing between Work Packages and Deliverables, "Triggering" is missing between two different Plateaus. Oddly, I can make a Deliverable "realize" a Work Package, but not the other way around, which is completely backwards. None of the main relationships seem to work according to the ArchiMate 3.0 spec (http://pubs.opengroup.org/architecture/archimate3-doc/chap13.html#_Toc489946119).

In fact, if I try to create any of these links manually from the toolbox, it gives me an error saying "Invalid combination of source and target types." The only way I can get any correct links to work is by turning off "Strict Connector Syntax" for the entire model, which is a pretty crappy workaround.

Can it really be true that ArchiMate Implementation and Migration diagrams are completely broken in the latest version of EA? Is anyone else frustrated with all of the ArchiMate problems since v14 released? Seems like some very simple regression testing should have caught these issues before releasing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it seems indeed that the implementation of Archimate in version 14 is very bad indeed. All seemed wel in version 13 but they seem to have messed it up completely since! Especially the quick link relationships are broken. Many valid relationships are missing and some are weirdly wrong (composition). This is a serious issue for anyone using Archimate. >:(

Glassboy

• EA Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 07:37:25 am »
There is (fair) argument from Sparx that the Archimate spec is ambiguous and inconsistent and (in particular) there are many relationships define in appendix B of the spec which are not clearly valid based on the spec's meta-model. However, in previous posts (which I can't find right now :( ) various Sparx reps have asserted that the Archimate model implemented in the product is complete and correct wrt the latest Archimate spec. However I (and others) have found this to not be the case - or at least have found that explicitly valid relationships from the spec are either not provided by the quicklink or treated as invalid, or both.

I don't believe anyone from Sparx has argued it is "complete", they fully acknowledge there are derived and implicitly hinted at relationships in the specification.  From memory the statement was that they have implemented all of the explicitly defined relationships.  Which are all of the relationships that aren't open to interpretation.  Which means they aren't responsible for anyone incorrectly using ArchiMate.  You can still model any other relationship you feel is valid outside of the QuickLinker.

I find that approach quite reasonable and responsible.

If there is an explicitly defined relationship missing you should absolutely report it as a bug and allow them to fix it.