Author Topic: Recomendations for non traditional mouse/laptop mouse model capture tools  (Read 137 times)

timoc

• EA User
    • View Profile
Since EA has features that you can only access with a mouse, and the other way around, i have found that my mouse usage has increased to the point were it is getting uncomfortable. I have been looking at vertical mice, stylus pads, etc. 

Does anyone else have experience or recomendations with non traditional mouse or laptop mouse solutions.  I am especially interested in pen/drawing or similar.

qwerty

• EA Guru
  • I'm no guru at all
    • View Profile
I'm using a MacBook (ever since) with a touch pad. Unlike the Wintel pads this really works. I'm using a mouse only for games. Alas, most likely not what you're looking for :-/

q.

timoc

• EA User
    • View Profile
I'm using a MacBook (ever since) with a touch pad. Unlike the Wintel pads this really works. I'm using a mouse only for games. Alas, most likely not what you're looking for :-/

q.
Nope :(

I prefer a mouse free operation, but when i tried keyboard only with EA it has mostly generated bug reports (for even the document based interfaces). EA is also unusable in a touch screen/mouse only environment, I've gotten it running on an x86 android tablet (with crossover).  As it is only unusable with a keyboard and pointer at the same time, the question becomes what is an effective pointer. I've seen another EA user who prefers a pen, and i can imagine it might be easier for model capture. There are reasonable pen input options available for next to nothing from aliexpress. hence the question.

bknoth2

• EA User
    • View Profile
I've used Windows and an Adesso Cirque touchpad for at least 25 years (mice were causing elbow pain). The touchpad works very well.

- Bruce

timoc

• EA User
    • View Profile
I've used Windows and an Adesso Cirque touchpad for at least 25 years (mice were causing elbow pain). The touchpad works very well.

- Bruce
I had not considered an external touchpad, i will add that to the list. I guess you have it in a laptop thumb style setup?

bknoth2

• EA User
    • View Profile
I have it sitting over where a mouse would be. I use and tap it with my index finger. It may take a little while to get used to it, but I use it without thinking about it at all. (I have one at work and one at home). They are inexpensive and worth trying. Adjust the speed and acceleration using the setup program so the pointer traverses the entire screen with one swipe.