Author Topic: Element Type differs between Query result and Element Properties Window  (Read 518 times)

mmontminy

• EA User
    • View Profile
I've build a query using the Query builder. My only criteria is a match to a specific Stereotype.
In the result set some Element have "Component" and others "Application Component" but in the Element Properties Window they all have Type=ApplicationComponent.
My Stereotype inherits (generalization) from ArchiMate_Application_Component.

Can someone explain this behavior?
What is the impact of having this situation?
Is there a way to change the Type? Design-->Element-->Edit-->Change Type is not an option as it only works with basic UML Type
- Not knowing, I was planning to recreate those Elements and redo the relationships as the volume is not that large

Any other advise?

Thanks,

UPDATE
I just realized that as soon as I touch the object (e.g: change Notes field, changing tagged values did not work) its Type in the result set of the Query is updated to ApplicationComponent. I still don't understand the behavior. It is as if the Type value is duplicated and synchronized on specific actions.
Martin

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 04:48:46 am by mmontminy »
Martin

Arquesoft (Mauricio Moya)

• EA User
  • EA Consulting and development in Spanish
    • View Profile
    • Arquesoft website
Application Component is a stereotype created by extending the Component native Type. Note elements have a Type (Class, Component, Actor, UseCase) and a Stereotype (business use case, business actor, Application Component).

The Stereotypes that are set by creating new elements from the Toolbox (as in Archimate toolboxes) are elements with a stereotype, a "Type name" and a "Native Type". In your case, the stereotype is "Application Component", the "Type name" is "Application Component" but the "native type" is Component.

The issue is: depending on the place you are viewing your element, EA shows you the "Type name" or the "native type". (even the click could change the display). This is normal (still an issue)
-------------
Need email notifications in EA? fully-automated baselines? a simple way to share your models via web? A copy of all your model diagrams in a folder? visit https://latam.arquesoft.com/en

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
In most places, the "Type" gets replaced by the "Metatype" defined in the MDG.  I heartily endorse this.

However, in query results, sometimes you see the Type intermixed with the Metatype.  You can't see any difference between those elements with the Type and those with the Metatype.  The reason is; there isn't!  >:(

According to the Sparxians, the reason you see a difference has to do with the state of the Browser!   ::)   :o

EAUI!

HTH,
Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

Auston

• EA Novice
    • View Profile
What are the biggest advantages of Metatypes by the way?

Paolo F Cantoni

• EA Guru
  • Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
    • View Profile
In Sparx EA, the metatype is the intersection of a Type and a Stereotype.  In our modelling environment, we have restricted each stereotype to a single type.  Stereotypes are often coded, whereas Metatypes typically aren't.  In our modelling environment, we have created contracted stereotypes to ensure they don't clash with any others in unqualified mode.   BsnssObjct versus BusinessObject.

For model queries, it's useful to have the metatype be displayed rather than the coded stereotype.

It should be said that metatype support continues to evolve but due to Sparx's reluctance to alter the DB structure will, most likely, never be complete.

Paolo
Inconsistently correct systems DON'T EXIST!
... Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of achieving correctness....
-Semantica-
Helsinki Principle Rules!

KP

• EA Administrator
  • EA Expert
    • View Profile

To use a real life example, in SysML, a Block is a UML Class with the <<block>> stereotype. Systems engineers aren't interested in UML, classes or stereotypes, they just want to model with Blocks. By defining Block as a metatype, we hide what is under the hood, and (hopefully) Blocks is all they see.
The Sparx Team
support@sparxsystems.com